+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to remove spools from IC3's ?

Hybrid View

Default How to remove spools from IC3's ?

Once was a post on here about trouble removing spools from IC3 reels as they come with 4 spools. Mine are brand new and so no problem. I greased them just in case. At the time I greased them they worked fine. Have now set up. Cannot get spools off. I have been unable to find that thread or post. Any ideas or help out there? Would appreciate it. If not I have 3 Scierra reels with 12 spools that I won't even put a line on. What a waste.
    Last edited by Gemrod; 05-06-2009 at 03:21 PM.

I soaked them in hot water and got them off.

Normand Guest

ummm why do you have to soak them in hot water to get the spools off??

Blog Entries

I would guess that there is a very tight fit with the spools, and when Gemrod greased them it only allowed a tighter fit ie somthing like suction to form.

When Gemrod soaked them in hot water the spools expanded enough that the suction was broken and the spool came off. I would clean the grease off and try graphite or somthing dry on the spool.

Just my thoughts

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Yes Eric. I had greased them. The reason I greased them was an earlier thread was a person complaining he did not like the IC3's because he cannot get the spool (cassette) off to change to one of the other 3 cassetes that come with it. Maybe that wasn't a post....I think it was a review I read on Cabelas after I had bought mine. Anyway I thought he had originals and they were stuck. So I figured I would grease mine and then not have any trouble. Well they sat for a few months and I couldn't get mine off either. I ran hot water over the spool arbor and no help. Decided to nuke a bowl of water and soak them. That worked. Wish I had seen your post. I already cleaned them with denatured alcohol and have now OILED them instead of greasing them. I oiled them with Hot Sauce reel OIL instead of their grease.

Will see what happens. I like the reels although I haven't fished one yet. Basically a reel with four quick change spools or cassetes is exackery what I want. I would like to go out on the lake with a rod and be packing a floating line, a sink tip line, an intermediate line and a full sink line. Great.....but if you can't change the cassettes in the field it's just one reel.

If this doesn't work I will try your suggestions Eric. And thanks for the time.

I think you might be right about the tight fit and expansion Eric. They are not that tight of a fit when new. Just a nice snug fit. But you got me thinking about the expansion. Perhaps their is a different expansion and contraction rate between the ALUMINUM reel and arbor....and the PLASTIC cassettes that slide over the arbor. This problem may just keep on happening.

+ Reply to Thread