+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Crystal River Royal Coachman Reels

Default Crystal River Royal Coachman Reels

I just finished reading a piece by Rick Rappe on picking up a used fly reel.

He shows favourable reasons for picking up a Crystal River Royal Coachman Reel.

anyone use one of these reels and is able to give me an opinion on the reel.

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/readerscast/rc139.html:58276]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/readerscast/rc139.html[/url:58276]

thanks
    Mike

[This message has been edited by Newfoundlander (edited 06 December 2005).]

I bought one for cheap on ebay. It is ok, especially for the money. You should be able to get one new for under $20 shipped. My only problem is that I dropped mine and it doesn't retrieve as smooth as it used to since the spool got a small dent in the outer rim. I've also picked up a crystal river cahill which is the all composite version. The smallest size is probably the lightest reel I've had my hands on and a great option on a 1 to 3 weight. Our local Gandar Mtn has the size 2 version for $15 new. My size 1 was on my 2 weight this fall when I ended up hooked up with a 5 lb carp. I was impressed with the drag on the thing. I ended up having to palm the spool locked before he got into some brush. For econo reels, that one is my favorite at the moment.

I've had a Crystal River Coachman (CR-2002) now for the last three seasons. Bought it on e-Bay for around $20.00 (new in the box). I like the reel, good smooth performance - especially for a cheap reel, all metal construction, disc drag, and made in Korea.

I use it with an 8wt line (and rod) and it's my "float down the river after big bass" rod. Use an old timey (now) SA "Air Cel" line, most generally using poppers.

Don't have the first complaint with the reel.

Dale

Thanks for the insight,
    later
    Mike

+ Reply to Thread