Thread: Son WANTED to go fishing again!

Threaded View

Default Son WANTED to go fishing again!

My son really wanted to go fishing after his baseball game last night. What could I say?
    So, we left his ultralight rod in the car, and I took 2 fly rods. One of them we didn't use. The other one, I would cast it out where the fish were, and then Carson would work the fly in, set the hook, and bring the fish in. We fished for an hour until it got too dark.
    It was a nearly steady mantra of me saying over and over,"Keep your rod tip down" and "Keep the fly moving steady" and "Watch the end of the fly line, if it stops or moves away from you, set the hook". He missed a lot of fish, but caught at least 10 crappies. I added a dozen crappies and a couple of bluegills when he decided I should catch some fish too.

This isn't one of the bigger crappies, but they were all fairly small. PERFECT for taking a kid fishing!

Oh...and his birthday is in about 4 more days. He doesn't know it yet, but I ordered him a Cabela's fly rod combo for $40, so he can start learning how to cast!

Sunday evening I fished the same pond, and there were about 8 other people fishing there...a couple of adults, and the rest were kids. Nobody was catching anything, so I started catching crappies right away. Kids all around the pond were yelling, "Hey, he's got another one!" Two kids came over and stood by me, which makes casting more interesting. They asked all kinds of questions about the fly-fishing gear, where they could get some, how much it costs, what kind of lure (fly), where did I get it... The water was really clear, which is rare for that pond, and the kids could watch the fly coming in under the surface, and fish coming up and hitting it. I let them hold some of the fish I took off the hook, and they released them gently. Pretty fun!
    Last edited by FishnDave; 05-05-2009 at 02:03 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO