Sport fishing column for May 4 to 11, 2009

After my pitch for the up coming Alouette Lake Fishing Derby in last week's column; I started beating the bushes, in an effort to roust a fly fishing contingent. My enthusiasm was met with responses such as; I'm trolling plugs and big deep lakes are too hard to fish with flies. I have to confess that I was more than a bit disappointed with what I heard. That in mind, I have decided to forgo our current series for a few weeks and share strategies for fishing large deep lakes with and without flies.

I know I am going to raise the ire of those who adhere to the popular conventions of fly fishing; but a misconception needs to be addressed. "You do not need to use a fly rod and fly line to fly fish." Technically a person fishing a fly with anything from a hand line, to a cable and winch is fly fishing. This leave a person allot of latitude and many gear options.

While deepwater fly fishing is commonly done with a fly rod and a type 4 to 6 fast sinking, deep water fly line; trolling using a down rigger, spinning rod and monofilament line is also effective. Another option for deep water fly presentation (getting the fly down to the fish), is to use a spinning rod, single action trolling reel, and a lead core dacron main line. Flies for this style of fly fishing are most often large baitfish imitations such as: Zonker, Polarbear, Lefty's Deceiver, Dolly Whacker, or Clouser's Deep Minnow.

News

We are pleased to announce that our fly fishing program has been restructured and all our classes (Fly Fishing, Fly Tying, and Fly Casting), are now offered exclusively through Reel Life. For information on private or group classes call us at 1-604-820-4099.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is great. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Nations Black, Baggy Shrimp, Carey Special, Souboo, Sixpack, Zulu, Halfback, Big Black, Micro Leach, or Dragonfly Nymph. For dry (floating) try: Lady McConnel, Griffith Gnat, Black Gnat, Royal Coachman, Double Hackled Peacock, Adams, Tom Thumb, Big Ugly, Elk Hair Caddis, or Irresistible.

Most low to mid elevation interior lakes are open. Hypothermia is a threat out on the lakes this early in the season; so be sure you are prepared for the conditions. Use your early season tactics with Chironomid, Bloodworm, Dragon Nymph, Halfback, Micro Leach, or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser River is in full freshet. Concentrate on the color change around confluence streams. For cutthroat try: Rolled Muddler, Tied Down Minnow, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Bucktail, Mickey Finn, Kaufmann's Stone, Coachman, American Coachman, Lioness, Zulu, Souboo, Big Black, Micro Leach, Czech Nymph, Strawman, or Sixpack. For dolly varden try: large (#4 to #1) Bucktail, Rolled Muddler, Zonker, Big Black, or Kaufmann's Stone.

The Harrison River is high, but still good for rainbow and cutthroat. For rainbow try: Kaufmann's Stone, Elk Hair Caddis, Tom Thumb, Zulu, Irresistible, Adams, Renegade, or Stimulator.

The Stave River is fair to good for cutthroat, and rainbow.

The Squamish River is fair for rainbow, cutthroat, and dolly varden.

Until the next time, "Keep your fly in the water".