When fishing away from home, many times I have to fly. Not many things more awkward than trying to carry rods, car seat, carry-on, and what have you through the airport, as well as dealing with the one who goes into the car seat. Today, while at the new Michael's which opened up here in town (oh jeez, there goes the wallet), I found an extendable tube 4 in. in diameter back by the painting canvasses. It reminded me of the long, extendable tube I have for my baitcasting and deep sea rods, but it compressed down shorter than my 4 piece travel rods.

The diameter is such that I can get 4 travel rods, in their socks, into the case. It is NOT heavy duty PVC, but is heavy enough, especially since my rods never leave my sight, the chance of them getting crushed is nil. With the 40% off coupon that Michael's always has in the paper, it was less than 7 bucks. WAAAAAYYY cheaper than your average tube on the market (even if I had paid full price).

I am thinking that with this diameter, and a couple of foam spacers, I oughta be able to get reels into the tube to go with the rods, as long as I am trout fishing. I don't know if the big salmon reels will fit, because my Crosswater (Airframe) 7/8/9 won't

Anyhoo, the price was right, and it lets me take more rods than I need to Idaho and Colorado, so this is a good thing...just wish my favorite 3 and 4 weights were 4 piece rods. They don't get to travel, and are jealous, but two piece rods are a real PITA through an airport.

MAO