Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
I had such a lousy day yesterday fly fishing out of my pontoon boat at a lake that is supposed to offer up a 50-100 released fish per day, that I'm considering selling everything I can, and buy an aluminum fishing boat with a 25 hp motor. I remember fishing for put-and-take rainbows with leaded line and pop gear, or mono line with a line counting reel, and having very successful days. Yesterday I got skunked. Five of us fished that lake and 3 of us were skunked. To make matters worse, I was about a mile north of the southern launch and a storm came up out of the south with winds of about 30 mph. I fought whitecaps and currents in more than one direction caused by high winds. With about 1/2 mile left to go to the launch, my left oar malfunctioned. All tolled, (including the time it took to repair the oar) I had 1 1/2 to 2 hours of hard rowing just to get back to the launch. Today, my left arm hurts so bad, I doubt the pain will ever go away. Yes, I'm griping and I appreciate your listening. I just needed to vent. BUT, that 14 foot aluminum with a 25 horse Merc sounds better all the time. Warm feet, no waders, lots of storage and speed into a nasty headwind when needed.
Thanks for listening.
I've had days like that at Yellowstone Lake, Henry's Lake, Hebgen Lake, Daniels Reservoir, Strawberry Reservoir, High Uinta Lakes, etc. But the good day's always outnumber the bad day's. If I could catch fish all the time, have beautiful weather all the time I would probably take up polo, since fishing would be boring.
Joe, six months from now, you'll be reminicing how tough it was that day. No fish, rowing for 4 hours solid (have to embelish it a little) into the wind with 4' white caps when your oar broke 2 miles from shore.
It's going to be a great memory.