Thread: Complete Newbie!

Threaded View

Default Complete Newbie!

Hello everyone! After years and years of wanting to try fly fishing, I've finally gone and done it. The nice thing is that I got a nice medalist reel from this guy, and as a bonus, he sent me his old vise and some materials to get started with tying as well. So I had a somewhat free evening (somewhat hard to do when you've got 3 kids under eight) and got to do some tying. I had a couple of ideas in mind, and just came up with some other stuff. I had borrowed Helen Shaw's Fly Tying: Materials, Tools, Technique from the library. Although it is a little dated, it very clearly outlines various techniques and methods. There were a few things I read there that I wanted to try, and then compare to how I've seen/read on the internet.

Anyhow, here's what I was up to today:

Ok, so starting at the top right, we have a white hair tail, black thread body, brown hackle, and some white hair again for visibility. I was hoping that this would somewhat resemble a spinner or emerger... something sitting in the film.
    Next one down is a white hair tail, grayish brown dubbing body, grizzly hackle. Dubbing wasn't very well done.
    Next is my attempt at a bivisible, with a grizzly hackle palmered and a white hair tuft. It would have been better if I had some white hackle... hopefully soon.
    Bottom of the right hand side is my attempt at a parachute. Muskrat tail, muskrat dubbing body, white hair parachute with grizzly hackle wrapped around the white hair. The hackle should have been longer and maybe thicker.
    Top left is a woolly bugger, as is the second one, but the second one has a very ample tail. I wanted to second one to imitate a leech, I suppose we'll have to wait and see on that one.
    Lastly we have something I grabbed out of some weird corner of my mind. The tail is actually the tip of some black hackle left over from the woolly buggers. Than black chenielle ribbed with orange thread. And finished off with grizzly hackle and an orange thread head.

Any thoughts?

Dave
    Last edited by doftya; 05-03-2009 at 04:47 AM.