+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad shoulder

Hybrid View

Default Bad shoulder

I had shoulder surgery about five weeks ago.Like everything else you here those famous words you have nothing to worry about.After all is said and done doc comes buy and says everything went ok,but during surgery found bicep musle tore in half and couldnt repair.I flyfish with both hands,and reel in with my right hand.If there is someone out on this forum with the same situation i would like to know how you deal with fishing.Just looking for some answers .

Uncle Barry Guest

Good afternoon Ron.
    Mate, its time.
    Its time you too checked out the easy way to fly fish.

Its time for a Trout Spey Rod.

Then like me, you will think, why didn't I do this years ago !

If you would like an idea or three or a direction in little Spey rods, please feel free to yell out........
    AND
    I will flood you with ideas and suggestions.

Kind regards,
    UB

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Barry View Post
    Good afternoon Ron.
    Mate, its time.
    Its time you too checked out the easy way to fly fish.

Its time for a Trout Spey Rod.

Then like me, you will think, why didn't I do this years ago !

If you would like an idea or three or a direction in little Spey rods, please feel free to yell out........
    AND
    I will flood you with ideas and suggestions.

Kind regards,
    UB
    Uncle Barry i think im going to take you up on that trout spey rod.Do you make your own or do you buy yours from a dealer?

Uncle Barry Guest

Good afternoon RonZ
    "Uncle Barry i think im going to take you up on that trout spey rod.Do you make your own or do you buy yours from a dealer? "

Make our own.
    We develope a concept, the design performance and then work through it all with a composite eng, from there after a number of trails, we then have someone roll the blank and 'stick' all the bits on.

Kind regards,
    UB

Cool Me too -

I've gone through three of the bloody shoulder surgeries, all on the same right shoulder.
    Learn to cast off-handed. It takes a little doing, but if Castwell can double haul with either hand the rest of us can learn to at least cast with our 'dumb' hand. You might be surprised at how good you can get! *S*

Default Bad Right Shoulder

Why is spey casting easier on a shoulder? I'm not familiar with it. I've been having a hard time nymphing this year because of a bad right shoulder. Actually, both of my shoulders are bad. I was thinking of learning to nymph with my left arm, but I think it's just as bad.

Ladyfisher: I just finished with a physical therapist. She says everything feels tight and strong in my rotator cuff. She's said without seeing an MRI she'd guess I have arthritis in both shoulders. Being a veteran with shoulder problems do you have any advice?

Angry Bad shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    I've gone through three of the bloody shoulder surgeries, all on the same right shoulder.
    Learn to cast off-handed. It takes a little doing, but if Castwell can double haul with either hand the rest of us can learn to at least cast with our 'dumb' hand. You might be surprised at how good you can get! *S*
    LF, I've had both rotator cuffs reconstructed and can still cast with either hand, guess I was just lucky. There is a great article by Lefty Kreh in Flyfisherman magazine one or two issues ago oncasting with bad shoulders using a sidearm stoke, very informative, you might try to look it up.
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Default bad shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Z View Post
    I had shoulder surgery about five weeks ago.Like everything else you here those famous words you have nothing to worry about.After all is said and done doc comes buy and says everything went ok,but during surgery found bicep musle tore in half and couldnt repair.I flyfish with both hands,and reel in with my right hand.If there is someone out on this forum with the same situation i would like to know how you deal with fishing.Just looking for some answers .
    Ron, berfore you buy a spey rod, although I have cast and fished one and they are excellent, read Lefty Kreh's article in fly fisherman magazine Dec. 2008. He has excellent advice on side arm casting with your arm close to your side for shoulder problems.
    "Tap her light and she'll always be fresh"

Uncle Barry Guest

Good evening Herefish.

I might be able to help clear the fog for you,

"I have been looking at youtube for how to do a snakeroll, but they are all so fast,"
    Thats normal, it looks fast, because the line in in the air going around and around, if not fast, it will fall in a heap around your ears

" I can't get the drift of it, do you start with a roll cast,"
    Wrong, you finish with a roll cast, single Spey.

The cast basically is.
    Tight line to reel,
    rod tip low, near the water is better, more so will a sunked line.
    lift rod to about shoulder height, the tip that is.
    now without stopping, which will cause loose line and kill the loading.

Start to write a lower case letter e in the sky, starting at the inside of the e letter.
    wind the rod tip around,
    as the rod's path comes around to the bottom of the e, lift the rod back into the position to form a r/cast or single Spey, the Dloop behind the caster.

That easy !
    And now the trick, if you could call it that, I think of it as the foundation step.
    With a Double, left hand on the lower grip, hold this close to your body, as if to lock it there.
    Once you master the cast, this locking of the lower hand doesn't matter too much.

"then cast it downstream, then up? "
    ?
    cast across the stream, drift the line and fly down stream, snake roll and reposition the line and fly again across the stream.

'What are the anchor points they talk about.'
    this is only the water's grip on the line, leader and or fly, which inturn helps load the rod.

this is why Spey casting on grass is near on impossible.

Another helping trick,
    practice with just a bare rod, till you feel comfortable and can controll the size of the e that the rod tip is forming.

Kind regards,
    UB
    ps, another trick, don't try with a 15foot rod inside the house, more so with a ceiling fan

Thanks for the images, UB, so that is where the "roll" comes in, it gets more line into the action. The "e" - is it kind of horizontal in the air, like a belgian cast? This might be fun. I like the idea of getting the motion down before trying with a line.

+ Reply to Thread