When I started fly fishing two seasons ago I had a tough time catching fish. It took nearly 6 months before I caught my first fish. That first year I probably caught a dozen and a half fish

Last year I only caught maybe half a dozen fish.

So far this year I've caught none.

I've fished stocked lakes and been skunked. I've fished beautiful riffles and runs at the American River and been skunked. I've fished mayfly hatches on the Yuba river where I could see fish jumping out of the water and been skunked. Last weekend I fished the freakin' Trukee river outside of Lake Tahoe on opening day on a river that hasn't been fished in 5 months and STILL got skunked.

So I need to reassess my fly fishing experience.

I now view my fly fishing as being similar to a Civil War re-enactor. I have the costume, I carry around equipment that is authentic to the period, I go to places where actual battles have been fought, but I realize that I'm not actually fighting the Civil War.

Similarly, my fly fishing consist of going to places where fish have been caught by other people, I dress up in the vest and waders so I look the part, and I carry around a nice fly rod, stand in the water and wave the rod around. I even sit at home and tie up accurate representations of tiny bugs that would, hypothetically, catch fish. I just don't have any illusions that I will actually catch a fish (much like a Civil War re-enactor doesn't expect to actually get shot at)

I say this only partially in jest. It really does feel like I'm playing at being a fly fisherman instead of actually fishing. And yet I still enjoy going out there. I still enjoy the hike to the river or to the lake. I still enjoy rigging up. I love it when I notice my cast getting better. I love noticing what bugs are in the water or watching a trout rise to a mayfly (although I could do without seeing them swim between my legs).

Somehow, I still love this sport. Somehow, in spite of the frustration, it still brings me joy. Hmmm, maybe Civil War re-enactment isn't the best analogy. Maybe substance abuse and addiction is more accurate.