+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sage Xp overlined with Rio Grand?

Default Sage Xp overlined with Rio Grand?

Just purchased the Sage xp 5wt with a 5wt Rio grand line.
    When the head is out rod feels a bit overlined.
    Anyone else feel the same?

saflyfish:

Actually the Rio Grand has a slightly heavier front taper by design to quickly load faster rods.

Which is why I would think the Rio Grand would overload the XP. I am looking at a 6 wt. and cast the entire line on a standard WFF. Can you borrow a 6 wt. Wulff TT WFF wt or a Cortland 444 WFF and try it again?

I personally like the feel on my 5wt XP. I use both the Grand and a Rio Nymph line and like the feel of those lines with that rod.

------------------
    [url=http://www.rockymtnfly.com:ce666]Rocky Mountain Fly[/url:ce666]

I also use the Rio Grande on my XP and don't have any heavy feeling associated with it. I double haul when carrying a lot of line out so I don't notice any weight with the head well past the guides. I suppose if I didn't double haul and still tried to carry 50 or more feet of line out I might feel it.

------------------
    "The years of searching in the dark for the truth that one feels but cannot express, the intense desire and the alternations of confidence and misgivings until one breaks through the clarity and understanding are known only to him who has himself experienced them" - Albert Einstein

My 0.02$ ...

I have a few XP's and have DT's on all but the 10ft 8wt, ... which has a "Steelhead taper" on it 50% of the time.

I had WF's on the lighter weights (4-6) but didn't "prefer" the feel (for me).

I'm already brutal enough with my casting "style" and don't nee the quicker load of the WF (imho).

------------------
    Christopher Chin, Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:13510]Fishing the Ste-Marguerite[/url:13510]
    Christopher Chin

I have the same outfit.
    I feel the Grand line loads it well for fishing up close - about 25' - with reduced delicacy. For casting further out, I plan on getting a more of a traditionally tapered line for 2006.

Greg

"I feel the Grand line loads it well for fishing up close - about 25' - with reduced delicacy. For casting further out, I plan on getting a more of a traditionally tapered line for 2006."
    Strange that you feel that way. I find that line won't load well at short distances and since I fish out of a boat a lot I don't like it. I don't think that it should make an XP seem overlined, that's a stout rod.

I feel the rod loads great at short distances with the Grand up to 50ft.The problem for me is those 90ft casts and you have all that line in the air,it just feel overloaded for me.
    What other lines are great for the rod?

I cant get hold of any Wulff line in South Africa.Ive heard very good things about the Snowbee XS line.Think i might try that

+ Reply to Thread