+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: To Tell Or Not To Tell

Quote Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post
    I like that one...

as far as the question at hand, personally, I'll give out reports that consist of mostly pictures...and in those, if it is a highly sensitive water, I'll make sure you can't tell what water it is...as far as overall reporting is concerned, I'll post reports (typically on the other site I'm a regular on--more local) regardless of my success (especially if I have a few nice photos). even on the larger, more well-known locations, I'll post what I saw and perhaps one of the flies that was working for me, definitely not what rock to stand on or what current seam to throw a nymph through. Besides, for the most part, that's how I learned...everyone has the same access to the same maps, so get out there and do your own exploring.

~Randy
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

I agree with what most people have said. If it's a small stream that isn't well known, and especially if it holds wild trout, I won't mention it by name on any forums. On the other hand there's several streams I fish on a fairly regular basis that are what many would consider "famous". They've been written about in national magazines anyway (Spring Creek in State College, the Little Juniata, Penn's Creek, etc.) and I don't think mentioning them by name could worsen the tremendous fishing pressure those streams already get anyway. There are a number of streams around here that have never been written about and hold significant numbers of large trout and have hatches every bit as impressive as the streams I've named above. Those are the ones I won't be telling about...
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

Wink Fishing Reports Forum

I guess it is pretty obvious, to a lot of BB members anyway, and particularly those who read the Fishing Reports Forum regularly, where I stand on this one.

Reports to me are the when, where, how and what happened on an outing on a given piece of water.

Most of the places I fish and report on were "disclosed" to me by someone over the past six years, some are places that I found just out exploring on my own. Seems it would be kind of selfish of me to hold all that good stuff close to the vest for whatever reason, when others were willing to share it with me.

The when may be a key to the results reported. Morning, afternoon, evening ?? It might make a difference to someone who is thinking about going there.

The where in my reports is usually pretty general - and you'd have to be pretty good at using photos to locate specific stretches of water.

The how goes to the flies that worked, and those that didn't. If someone wants to fish that stream or river that I'm willing to share with them, why wouldn't I also give them a leg up on hooking up with some fishies ?? They might choose to use something else, and may do a lot better with their selection of flies. More power to them, and if they report on how they did, I'll learn something, too.

I try to describe what happened as objectively as possible, in terms of species caught, numbers, sizes, etc. Because words like good or poor and big or small are very subjective, and what would be a good day for me might be a poor day for someone else, or vice versa. Size matters to a lot of folks - they might not want to go to a place where someone else had a "great" time fishing for trout mostly under 10".

A fishing report, from my point of view, is something that will help someone else decide if they want to invest the time, energy, and money to go fish a specific stream, river, or lake. It may be the kind, size, number of fish they will have an opportunity to fish to, or it may be the scenery or the wildlife that fill out the experience, or the fact they can expect to have it pretty much to themselves or find themselves in a crowd.

After 150 plus fishing reports posted on the Fishing Reports Forum over the past fourteen months, I have only run into a few more people on the waters I fish, and have not noticed any deterioration in the fishing experience. I've run into a few people on those streams who were there because of my reports. They were good people having a good time. They are certainly welcome to that.

John
    The fish are always right.

Thanks, John. I was sure about where you stand and I appreciate it. Just an idea about how things change, and how quickly, my son and I fished the Ashton Bridge section of the lower henry's Fork on Saturday, got into a great caddisfly emergence and the fish were on top and feeding heavily. The next day my son and his friend went to the same stratch and experienced a "bust" for the day - totally different from the previous day.
    I love to share info, it's my nature, and I'm sure the guy who disagrees with that would be the first to say "Thanks" when next I share it with him.
    This has been an interesting thread and I hope it continues for a while. What makes life really interesting is that we're all different at the same time sharing a passion for something we all have in common.
    Like my old friend Forrest Gump used to say: "Life is like a box of chocolates..."
    Tight Lines everyone and keep it coming.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Default "where to" magazine articles

Is it different to write about a specific water in a magazine article than to post about it on an internet forum? Virtually every issue of every fishing magazine ever has at least one "where to" article, but I rarely hear people complain about the magazine articles. What about "where to" books, like books that cover an entire state? I guess I don't see how it's different, yet forum posts seem to draw much more ire.
    Good topic.

Thanks, SH, very good point. How do the rest of you feel about this?
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

It seems that everytime I post on an ongoing thread, it stops, but here it goes anyways. I have felt both ways, tell em' and don't tell em'. I believe the problem people have with fishing reports is that they feel all their secrets are being let out. Believe me I know for a fact that no one else on this forum has a clue about the Henry's Fork Green Drake hatch. I have been keeping that one a secret for a long time. Whew, it feels good to let that out!
    Everything does happen a lot faster in the electronics age. Word of mouth was the rule for a long time, but had the same affect. Share with others if you want, don't if you don't, but please like I have said to people before, "Don't complain about the stink if you let the cows out."

To tell or not to tell that is the question. As far as public water goes I'll tell you all you want to know since you can get there on your own accord as can anyone else. Now as far as private water I don't speak much about it because you're not allowed to go there anyhow. Now this is all pertaining to warm water stuff ie: crappie, bass, carp, gar, muskie, whatever. Now as far as trout go... alll of the streams here in MO go (except for one) I'll also tell you all you want to know since they are stocked on a daily or monthly basis. So far as other streams/lakes in other states go... don't really know what I would do since I rarely fish outside MO. I think I would be smart enough to decide if my publicity would be detrimental to the waters or not. I do save one exception... that being my personal secret monster bluegill spots, since the few folks who do target bluegills specifically are mostly fly guys and gals I rarely let loose of those secrets except to a few close friends since most of them have also given me a few pointers and secret spots of their own.

Steve

Depends on my mood.

Default Been there...doin' that!

As a 'newbie' to this group i am respective of my position; however, as a guide (retired now) and a fellow flyfisherman for 50 + yrs. i find this subject, particularily, interesting. If you'll indulge me, i'll tell you why?

"Secret Spots" are cool. VERY cool!..in our minds, at least
    These are OUR places!!..places where WE go..physically AND mentally when WE want to be in OUR special places.

Over the years this man has found that even though i'd like to, and often have, believe i was the fellow whom 'discovered ' this or that 'secret spot' the 'possibility' exists that another was there before me...perish the thought!

After having been paid to take folks to "secret spots' i must tell you, the feeling i get when i tell or take someone to those spots now, and then sometimes years later, run into them again oft times with their children / g-children really thrills me especially when 'recognition' is given.

'Recognition'..? For what you may ask....I like to think it's for being the "LEADER" whom took THEM to the "Secret Spot' and now they come w/their friends & families.

"LEADERSHIP"...A Leader is one knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way.

BE A LEADER!!!....Share.

Thanks for your indulgence.

Trouthunter
    Fall River Vly, CA.

+ Reply to Thread