+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Report for NWMO

Default Report for NWMO

OK so a good friend of mine and I went to a local oxbow today and chased the carp, buffalo, and gar around on the fly and had a fair amount of success. We fished headstands for the carp and buffalo and did well when the sun was high and we could see them. The gar came up about the same time and became very agressive, we took them on white bunny leeches and gold variant leeches drug right in front of them thy would visciously slash at them.

This is a quick u-tube vid of one of the smaller gar of the day that we caught.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmAwHLq1nTE

Steve

That's pretty cool, Steve! I hope to connect with some gar on flies this year, too.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

I had about 8 really nice looking rope flies tied and I couldn't get them to tangle in them they would eat the crap out of them and when I would put tension on it... no fishy. Nathan fished the leech all day and I eventuallu switched to one myself but still couldn't get them hooked up. Just remember to let them eat, but not easily or they will smell the fly and not eat it. They can be a bit on the tricky side.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    I had about 8 really nice looking rope flies tied and I couldn't get them to tangle in them they would eat the crap out of them and when I would put tension on it... no fishy. Nathan fished the leech all day and I eventuallu switched to one myself but still couldn't get them hooked up. Just remember to let them eat, but not easily or they will smell the fly and not eat it. They can be a bit on the tricky side.

Steve
    When I was a kid near Galveston we fished for them with meat baited hooks suspended in a piano wire noose! Solves the bony mouth issue handily.

+ Reply to Thread