+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Busy at the Lower Mountain Fork - Beavers Bend

Default Busy at the Lower Mountain Fork - Beavers Bend

My first time to the LMF in OK. I was fishing with my brothers and my father. I had read about this water since I started fly fishing so off we went to investigate. We concentrated on the red zones - trophy areas and primarily fly fishermen. It was very busy on Friday when we got in and crazy busy on Saturday. I was not prepared for the amount of traffic this stretch of water received.

Above my position:

Below my position:

And my nice trophy - shy of 20" (by the measure net)

Now don't take my comments on the crowds in itself as complaining - the renovation of this stretch of water (Evening Hole) was amazing and its success drives visitors (we were there)

I was more irritated by people moving in so close you couldn't fish. This happened to my brothers after they caught a few fish. I just picked stretch of still water that people were trying for a moment and leaving. Also, seems to be a lot of new fly fishers at this hole, since the access was easy and it is beautiful. Again, can't blame them. A lot of the fish are put down with all the splashing and your presentation had to be very good.

What I wouldn't give to have this all to myself.

Wink Texas Roadhouse

rmercado -

Nice way to introduce yourself to the BB !!

Greetings and welcome from SE Idaho, where we have crowds just like that - at the Texas Roadhouse on Friday evenings about 6:00.

Maybe you can get back there during the week when it would not likely be so busy ?? But then again, must have been nice to have an audience for that 20" bow !!

John
    The fish are always right.

Thanks John,

This was my second fish of the hole, just 10 minutes after the first one. I did have an audience and people talking to each other - probably about how I'm lucking into them.

I caught two more nice fish out of the same hole and it shut down for me.... and I waited for someone to leave and moved to a new spot.

From discussion with other, the weekdays are better if school isn't out for the summer, then the park is always busy no matter what day. I'm just glad we visited and it was a very nice mini-vacation. Looking forward to the Black Hills later this summer and more nice memories.

-Rommel.

+ Reply to Thread