Sport fishing column for April 27 to May 4, 2009

1997 was a year of looking back at our sport fishing heritage, with two books released on our sport fishing history makers: "Fishing In British Columbia," by Thomas Wilson Lambert, which was a reprint of Lamberts 1907 work with a introduction by Art Lingren. "Peetz, A Reel for All Times," by Douglas F W Pollard, which tells the story of a watch maker and his one of a kind BC made wooden reels.

Also released that year were: BC Outdoors "BC Fishing Directory and Atlas: Saltwater Edition" and "Home Waters," by Jeff Mironuck, which was a how to, where to fishing guide for the east Kootenays.

News Flash:

You might want to set your fishing sites on Alouette Lake in Maple Ridge. The Maple Ridge Chamber of Commerce is hosting a Fishing Derby on Alouette Lake Saturday June 6th. Pre-fishing is allowed and I would encourage it. The registration is $99.00 per person but you can sign up for $75.00 before May 15th. Kids twelve and under compete for free. I suggest you register right away because there will be a limit to the number of boats on the lake. With many family activities, an outdoor education centre, and great prizes; there will be something for everyone. I don't have the liberty to spill all the beans on this one yet; but from what I have been told, you are going to like this event. More details in the weeks to come.

The Report

Fishing on our lower mainland lakes is good. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Nations Black, Baggy Shrimp, Zulu, Halfback, Big Black, Micro Leach, or Dragonfly Nymph. For dry (floating) try: Lady McConnel, Griffith Gnat, Black Gnat, Royal Coachman, Double Hackled Peacock, Adams, Tom Thumb, Elk Hair Caddis, or Irresistible.

All the lower elevation interior lakes are open and most of our mid elevation lakes should be ice free by the weekend. Try early season tactics with Chironomid, Bloodworm, Dragon Nymph, Halfback, Micro Leach, or Baggy Shrimp.

The Fraser River is in full freshet. Concentrate on the color change around confluence streams. For cutthroat try: Rolled Muddler, Tied Down Minnow, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Bucktail, Mickey Finn, Kaufmann's Stone, Coachman, American Coachman, Lioness, Zulu, Souboo, Big Black, Micro Leach, Czech Nymph, Strawman, or Sixpack. For dolly varden try: large (#4 to #1) Bucktail, Rolled Muddler, Zonker, Big Black, or Kaufmann's Stone.

The Vedder River is fair for steelhead and rainbow. For rainbow try: Kaufmann's Stone, Elk Hair Caddis, Tom Thumb, Zulu, Irresistible, Adams, Renegade, or Stimulator. For Steelhead try: Big Black, Flat Black, Squamish Poacher, Thor, Polar Shrimp, Popsicle, Happy Hooker, or Kaufmann's Stone.

The Harrison River is up, but good for rainbow and cutthroat.

The Chehalis River is fair for rainbow, and steelhead.

The Stave River is fair to good for cutthroat, and rainbow.

The Squamish River is fair for rainbow, cutthroat, and dolly varden.

Until the next time, "Keep your fly in the water".