Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
Try what you already have and see how it works for you. How wide are the streams? You can leave it in a tube until you get to where you want to fish then set it up. I have found that I enjoy the longer rods becasue if I wade up to my waste, I can still cast over the vegetation. It's a lot cheaper to try what you already own, but of course if you are trying to justify a new rod because you are fishing different conditions, don't let me get in the way. There is always a good reason to buy another rod.
One creek is pretty narrow in spots - say 15 feet across, 10 feet deep and with a muddy bottom. I will have to stand/kneel on the elevated bank to drop my line on the water and cast that way for northern pike and bass.

Another creek is wider in spots - up to 3-40 feet in some spots and 10 feet in many others. It is gravel based, shallower so you can wade in but surrounded by trees and shrubs on the banks.

At some lakes the only good spots available are on the bank - because of the lake drop off, with trees and brush in the way of long back casts.

The latter mentioned creek and lake are home to rainbow, brook and tiger including northern pike, bass, pickeral and perch.

The average weight of the fish - on average - range from 1 to 5 pounds but can be much larger.

I am somewhat lost as to the action of the rod that would be good, length and wt of line. I also read that using a heavier line than recommended on the rod may assist with this limited type of casting.