RW here,

I agree with lee s completely. It is the tippet strength in the hands of a person that knows how to play a fish, not the rod that determines the outcome of the fight. Not just the rod alone.

This argument can and has been argued time and again, but here's a test that can prove a light rod (within reason) can whip a big fish just as quickly as can a heavy rod.

My editor gave me a simple test to prove it to doubters. Here it is verbatim as he told it to me: By the way, I'm defending the light tackle afficiandos cuz I'm one myself.

"About 10 or 12 years ago, Paul Angelo of the Great Outdoors in Winthrop, Me. showed me a neat little test. Have someone kneel onto the floor, make a fist and put the knuckles on the floor with the thumb side toward someone 10 feet away with a rod, line and leader. Have the person kneeling hold the tip of the leader between the thumb and index finger. The guy with the rod starts pulling on the leader, and in good fighting fashion, keeps the tod tip high - say 12 o'clock. Despite the rod size, the man on the floor can hold the tippet all day long."

"Now, drop the rod to about 9:30, which puts the fighting pressure in the butt. It does not matter whether it is a 3-weight (which I tested) or a 10-weight. You cannot hold
the leader once the pressure has been put into the butt...Period!. If you wrapped the leader around your hand, it would cut the flesh. I'm sure this would work with even a 1-weight. Putting the pressure in the butt works great energy against the fish. In short, a man smart enough to do that would
subdue a big fish easy enough with a 1-weight, 5-weight or a 10-weight."

That said, I'll stick to my light tackle, thank you very much, and without worrying about playing a fish too long or applying undue stress to the quarry.

As I said earlier, lee s is right on with his determination on the subject. I hope all my 1 and 2-weight compadres will feel better, now that all that is cleared up.

Thank you, thank you very much!
RW

------------------
"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 26 February 2005).]