+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PVC Fly Rod Case

Default PVC Fly Rod Case

I post this at the risk of insulting your intelligence. Please believe that's not my intent. Trust me, if a monkey like me can do it, anyone can.

If you'd like the list of ingredients you'll need to pick up at the hardware store, I've put together a step by step

Build a PVC Fly Rod Case

"People tend to get the politicians and the fishing tackle they deserve" -
    John Gierach, Fishing Bamboo

http://www.tenkaraflyfish.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

nice pictures, thanks for posting

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Blog Entries

Talking

One thing more along these lines..........Use shedule 20 PVC , instead of schedule 40. It will reduce weight considerably. If you ever noticed how light factory cordura tubes are, that's the reason........Ed

Thanks for the instructions - I'll be down at the hardware store tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Smernsky View Post
    One thing more along these lines..........Use shedule 20 PVC , instead of schedule 40. It will reduce weight considerably. If you ever noticed how light factory cordura tubes are, that's the reason........Ed
    That's a great suggestion Do the caps and adapters all fit the schedule 20, or do they have their own fittings? Also was just curious how the prices compare?

Built a few of these tubes, probably twenty five years ago. Still have them.

I like the heavier ones, don't know what schedule they are.
    The reason.......you could drive a truck over them and it wouldn't harm your rod.
    You can also write all the pertinent info about the rod right on the tube.

Enjoyed seeing this post. Brought back some old memories.

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Somewhere buried deep within the bowels of the many threads and articles in this site there was an essay on how to finish the PVC with paint(?) and make fancy designs. If anybody can find it that would be an interesting addition to this thread.

In addition I place a postal return address stickers on the inside of the cap of my cases. Might help.

Tim
    Last edited by Panman; 04-26-2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Additional comment

I definitely know the tubes will take a magic marker. I usually mark what's inside along with my name and return address on the outside of the tube. I also have a label with my name and return address on all my rod bags.

BTW, if you want you can sand the markings off the side of the tube. Be careful, I'm guessing the dust may not be so great to breath in. I personally like to leave the markings on, sort of adds character. And of course, may help to provide a bit of camouflage from prying eyes looking to see what's in the back of your truck.

Quote Originally Posted by pszy22 View Post

BTW, if you want you can sand the markings off the side of the tube. Be careful, I'm guessing the dust may not be so great to breath in. I personally like to leave the markings on, sort of adds character. And of course, may help to provide a bit of camouflage from prying eyes looking to see what's in the back of your truck.
    I think? you can just wet a cloth with alcohol and rub any of the pvc markings off, if you prefer.

Bob
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Blog Entries

Talking Oh the world of Creativity..........

Reply and more suggestions: As for schedule 20 pipe , it also has its own fittings. Landscapers use more sch. 20 and it will hold up to a truck also. Marked on the side of all PVC pipe will be the schedule rating ..most common is sch. 40 which is commonly used as drainage pipe. There are other forms of plastic pipe which also can be used like CPVC and ABS which is black in color and is also rated in wall thickness. I've also found that on schedule 20 PVC pipe instead of using a screw cap and fittings, a simple discarded top of some paint spray cans will slip over the pipe with a nice snug fit...(making for a nice slip on/off top).....last but not least if you really want to get fancy you can buy cordura material made to fit and create your own custom tubes....Can you tell I've played with this stuff before?...........LOL............Ed

+ Reply to Thread