+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fly line cracking

Hybrid View

Default Fly line cracking

I'm dissapointed in my fly line's life expectancy. I was on the water yesterday fishing a 7 wt and then threw my 3 wt for a bit. I noticed that the line I have spooled up for the 3 wt which is a SA 4 wt nymphing line is all cracked in many spots after 2 seasons.

I spend some time on the water each year, many people fish more than I do. Since Feb 10th I've enter 15 outtings into my log. That's roughly 5 or 6 times a month on the water. I also fish more than this one rod for most of my outtings. Of the 10 outfits that I have the 7 and the 3 do the bulk of the work.

Someone mentioned that there were fly line companies that had a 5 year coating warranty. Air Flo maybe? If I had a line last 5 seasons that would be at the top of my list vs one that only lasts two seasons. I don't have the receipt for that line any longer, but am dissapointed enough that I don't wish to buy that same line again. It would be different if I stepped on it and cut it up or did something else stupid to it, but it deteriorating after just a couple seasons for a $60 line, I find it unacceptable.

So what is your experience with the life span of your fly line? By the way, I have a Teeny Fly line tool that I used with a cleaning solution to clean my lines. In other words I take the line off of the reel and clean the lines and recoat with a product made to clean fly lines. I maintain the lines and still have problems.

Your comments are appreciated.

Rick
    Last edited by Clay; 04-26-2009 at 03:07 PM.

I typically only use SA lines and fish Wis for trout during our 5-6 month season.

I clean my lines after every outing (only the front 30-40 ft used) with the SA line cleaner recommended.

Since 1999 I've had all the lines ( 5-6 trout lines) last 4-5 yrs. w/o fail.

Sounds like you know how to care for a flyline. All I can say is buy a different brand and see how it goes. I have had good luck with my SA trout line and Rio Grand and selective trout models. The Rio Grand is a half line heavier than the # rating though.
    My other buddy says he has trouble with the Rio selective trout tip floating, works fine for me.
    Bob

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs down That shoundn't happen!

Hi Clay

I still use the original fly lines that came with most of my fly rod outfits. I've also purchased some additional lines like sinking tips and "big fly" lines. In ten years, I've never had a line crack. Most of my lines have been exposed to South Carolina heat in the trunk of my car too. That's not to say that I haven't damaged some fly lines but I tend to do that with my big feet and by not keeping my back cast upth (how do you spell that JC?). I've treated Orvis, Rio, SA and Cortland lines pretty tough and all have resisted cracking. I would complain to the manufacturer and see if you can't get some satisfaction. 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 04-27-2009 at 02:34 AM.

Again, I have 10 outfits that I can fish from 3 to 10 wt. I've had two lines crack on me, this current SA and a Cortland. I'll call SA on Monday to see what they say, but being a big company I am not too hopeful. These days I have been buying SA and Rio lines almost exclusively. If I'm not too lazy I will drag out the camera and shoot some shots and see what everyone thinks.

Hi Rick -- what have you been using for insect protection for the last couple years?

Hi Clay, I have had the same problem, but I am beginning to think it may be a case of a deffective line and not necessary a brand problem. I have a line with hair line stress cracks throughout. I started noticing this after about two and a half seasons of use. It was a Cortland 4wt 444 clear creek line. This was very disappointing to me since it was my best casting line. My trout season is just four months with really three good months of fishing. I used this line most often but took good care of it, cleaning and coating the line also. I have SA lines and a Rio line that seem to be holding out much better.

Do you do any lawn or road casting?
    I had some Cortland crack years ago, went back to the shop I bought it from and they replaced it. Other than that, my Rio, SA and TT have held up great. I agree with one of the other posters. It could have been one from a defective lot.
    "If opera is entertainment, then falling off the roof is transportation".

The chances that these cracks are caused by a defect are near impossible. What do you think the odds are of 2 lines from 2 different companies cracking at the same time?? You have a better chance of winning powerball. It's obviously something that you did. Insect repellent, sunscreen or any other possible chemicals that may have come into contact with the line?? Extreme heat or cold?? Stored in direct sunlight?? Whatever it is, it's not a manufactures defect, but even so they will most likely replace it for you.

Insect repellent containing DEET is probably the worst thing you can get on a flyline, according to the late Leon Chandler, and I tend to agree. Sunlight is probably #2. If you store your line in the sunshine, you are gonna be disappointed with its life span.

+ Reply to Thread