Hi,

Just to continue thinking about "doing it the hard way", along with cobbler's wax, a lot of the patterns described in Pritt talk about various feathers "stained in onions". I always took this to mean that somehow the dye was applied to result in a banded pattern of colours. It's only just got through my thick skull that what this means (probably) is that onion skins were boiled and used as a dye. I believe they produce a yellow colour.

Anyway, this got me to thinking. I found some sheeps wool while out for a walk the other day. Since I'm in the UK for a short period of time, and didn't bring my tying gear with me, I don't want to end up buying a lot of stuff just to tie a few flies. (Still looking to borrow a vice from a fellow at work; should have one tomorrow). I've got a few things, like my Pearsall's and cobbler's wax. Tonight we had beats for supper, and so I saved some of the beat juice. I added some vinegar as a fixative, and have tried dying some of my sheep's wool (after giving it a good washing in warm water). From the looks of it so far, it seems to have worked. Tomorrow morning I'll give it a rinse and see how "colour fast" it has turned out to be. I'll get some photos and post the results.

To get some yellow, I've asked everyone in the house to save me their onion skins as I want to see how that goes. They think I'm mad. Hmmm, perhaps they're right?

Onions and wool anyone?

I wonder if this counts as adding scent?

- Jeff