Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post

The first time that a quarter back throws a ball is not in the big game. He actually practices his passes before the game. Sometimes we think that we will practice while fishing. This isn't the time to practice.

Rick
I think I know what you mean but I would say it differently.

The best practice for a QB is in scrimmages. That's why the first string gets the most reps.

I do practice on the stream and I think it is more valuable that lawn casting. It is the best way to learn mending because you have moving water to mend onto. It is also the best way to learn to cast under low branches and into tight quarters.

The problem is not that practicing on the stream is not the time to practice; it is that almost no one practices when they can fish. I think that is the problem.

The best time I've found to practice is when I mess up a real fishing cast. After I spook the fish, I stop and practice the cast I tried to make but could not. I'll spend 10 to 15 minutes practicing that cast until I can figure out how to do it or what I need to learn. Then I can take that image back home and practice it there. Large fish tend to live in difficult lies. I know that the same fish will likely be there when I come back, and hopefully, I will be better prepared.