+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Traditional vest vs. Chest pack?

Default Traditional vest vs. Chest pack?

What say you? I'm just starting out and it is plenty hot here most of the spring/summer.
    Gary

NRA
    SCI

Arrow

I don't use either one, I use a fanny pack that I can slide around to any part of my waist or I can put it up over my shoulders for deeper water, but I rarely stand still and fish in water above my waist. Mine has 5 different sections in it,$7.00... I like it cause its easy just to crab it and go, is very light weight, and, like your thinking, the heat. It also acts as a belt for my waders too...

Last edited by Grubb; 04-25-2009 at 01:12 PM.

Normand Guest

i cant see my feet now when i look down so a chest pack is out of the question

i use a simms g3 vest

or ill carry just 1 fly box and my homemade neck lanyard

This is one of what I consider the two great mysteries of fly fishing. I once owned a great vest that I loved -It was a shorty that worked exceedingly well. But then I moved to where it was hot and the vest was old and too warm to wear - so then it began.

I have had three different fanny packs, they're OK but each had it's own little disadvantage that drove me crazy. Then I tried the chest vests, I've had a couple of those - terrible when they sit on a Beer Belly! They are in the way of every thing you want to do

Then the strap vests looked pretty good. I really like the design. If I ever get them untangled I may use one some day. That's if I can find a fly box that fits properly in the odd ball sized pockets. Whoever designed these things needs to be condemned to use one the rest of his life !!!!

Last week I decided I'm an intelligent person and know a lot about computers so I did an Internet search for the best solution. I decided to find the solution and force myself to stick to it for at least a year without changing. I decided on the Redington mesh vest.

It came in last week so I am still trying to get used to it. The pockets are the right size to fit a fly box. I bought the 2xx size so I can wear it over a jacket if I get a trip to the cold areas of the state and it looks really good. I see a lot of promise in this choice. I'll try to report back in about 6 months on how it performs.

NOW: If your just starting out wait till you get to the second "GREAT MYSTERY" of fly fishing. How to? and What to store your flies in? Have fun - that's what it is all about!
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

I'm with Norm
    I tried a chest pack for exactly one day
    Couldn't see my feet
    I have enough trouble stumbling along without making it worse
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I used to use a vest, now I use convertible hip pack made by 'Fish Pond' This model can be worn in front as a chest pack, to the rear like a fanny pack or off the shoulder as a side bag (my favorite). It holds all I need for a day trip. I should also mention that I use a lanyard for my tippet and tools and wear a fishing shirt with big chest pockets.

http://www.fishpondusa.com/blueriver.cfm

I was happy with a vest for many years, but it was difficult to use with a PFD (life vest) while boating, the vest was awkward to wear with a heavy coat or rain jacket. I sometimes needed to take the vest off to get at the rear pockets. The vest holds too much gear, I would load up all the pockets and end up carrying a whole fly shop on my sorry back. I'm put off by the high price of some vests, $150 plus seems like a lot of cash for a simple vest.

I agree with the other comments about chest packs and vision. I rarely wear my fish pond in the front, it prevents me from seeing where I step. Worn on the back or side I can flip it around to the front for access as needed. It has a low enough profile that I can wear a day pack with it for longer hikes. I can't comfortably wear a day pack over a loaded fishing vest.

Blog Entries

Default How to be a minimalist...

spend the money on a lanyard with basic tools and a quick dry shirt with swell pockets. put your few flies in small boxes (you're just starting, right?) in the pockets. as the next few years bring you a plethora of gadgets gifted by well-meaning friends and family, you can join the legions of anglers who spend hours working on the question of how to carry it all. or you can decide the question is moot, 'cause you're happy with what you have.

meanwhile, you'll be fishing while the rest of us are searching all those pockets!
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

You've already received a lot of opinions and I'm going to add one more.
    http://www.fishpondusa.com/sagebrush.cfm

I live in Kentucky and it gets hot in the summer. I like a vest but the traditional ones are no fun when it's 90 degrees outside. I tried out a couple chest packs and they never made it out of the store. I tried a couple fanny packs and it always seems that whatever I want when I want it is not easy to find or the pack has moved to the side or to the back or shifted or the darn belt is too tight.

I settled on the Fishpond sagebrush mesh vest and haven't looked back.

I would advise you to check one out just to see if would work for you. What works for one person may not work for someone else (thus the multitude of various vests/packs/gadgets out there).

Jeff

I've always been a vest guy but a chest pack seemed like a neat idea. So I tried one. It had some nice features but It seemed to be in the way a lot.

Now I'm trying out a Filson Strap vest. So far I like it.

Hey, to each their own. I used a nice vest for years, but when several different chest-pack models started showing up on the scene I thought I'd try one out. After trial and error with several different brands I settled on the William Joseph version, which is now replaced by their magnetic series.
    I've love my WJ, bought it on sale (Madison River Fishing Company-MRFC) and wouldn't trade it for anything.
    As far as seeing your feet, I can't feel my feet let alone see them, but I wade with a staff and watch the water ahead of me and haven't found there to be a problem of not seeing my feet when using a chest pack.
    My vest gave me a serious neck and back ache when I wore it because I kept everything in it. Now I know I have limited space and make sure I choose wisely what I carry in it for the water I'm fishing.
    I also wade deep in my favorite spring creek so it's imperative that I have something that I can adjust to ride quite high so things stay dry. The WJ fits the bill on all counts.
    Good luck.

Kelly
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

+ Reply to Thread