Thread: hardy fiberglass rods

Threaded View

Thumbs up

I tried the new "Test" at the Detroit show this March. I believe it was a 7' 4 wt, but I could be mistaken about the length. I like bamboo rods and was keeping an eye out for a possible alternative that I could use on wet or drizzly days. At first "wiggle" off the rack, I thought it might be a bit too soft or whippy, but then I took it to the casting pond. Wonderful rod. Short, medium, long, the rod was excellent. I handed it to a friend who also builds bamboo rods for a living and he was equally impressed. It felt a lot like bamboo. In addition, the rods are beautifully finished, and seemed like a good value price wise.

That being said, after casting that rod, I did cast a Mike McFarland 7'2" 4wt Parabolic that I absolutely fell in love with. I would own one of those blanks right now if I hadn't bought some other stuff since then. Next year....

But to answer your question, if you like the feel of bamboo rods, I think you would really enjoy the new Hardy glass rods. I would be proud to own and fish one, and may want to buy one before they go through the roof price wise.
    Last edited by Jim Flamming; 04-23-2009 at 12:59 PM.