+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: She thinks I'm a murderer

Default She thinks I'm a murderer

Since Dr. Fish posted his latest published exploits, I thought I should share mine, even if they arn't quite so impressive.

http://www.saljournal.com/news/story/fishing

This is how I spent a couple of days last week. You will notice they don't reference my occupation. I was afraid people would remember that line about fishers of men, and think if we catch them we will gut them!

Take care everyone.

Ed

Well golly Pastor Ed, that girl looks like you are hurting that dead fish. Nice article. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Pretty funny. Some folks just can't take the gutting thing. I'm not that good with it myself(although I can scrape on people's eyes all day long). That's why I take home bass and crappie so I can just fillet them without the gutting.

I admire men like you that take an interest in young people's lives.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

It was really a lot of fun. The kids did great, even the young lady making the face in the picture. She wasn't too keen on the initial part of the operation, but by the time we were done she was helping.

Very few of the kids had ever cleaned a fish, so, hopefully, I helped a few of them get over the "I have no idea what I'm doing / this is too gross for words" stage of fishing.

Ed

Bravo Ed. Great to see that someone is out there teaching kids.
    Tim

I help with an annual local fishing derby. There we build a fire and bring a frypan. For those who want, we gut and fry up the trout on the spot. Most everyone seems to love it, especially the eating part. Must admit it doesn't bother me to do it. When I am in a more natural environment I don't do much catch and kill but in this situation or for a science class I would not hesitate.

jed

It's good that kids understand where their food comes from. Chicken is not the stuff that comes from the grocery store in plastic wrap, but rather a bird. It's also not the stuff on the McDonalds menu that comes in little sticks.

The food chain is an interesting subject. I never hear fish discussing the merits of being a vegetarian, they just eat the guy standing next to them even if they are sea kittens. (New Peta campaign so that people stop eating fish).

As much as I enjoy eating, I'd just as soon keep the juxtaposition of living and the dead far separate. <Naming anything, ie: "this is my trout Petey" assures its' being returned to the water immediately! Mazie the cow, will be admired for her long eyelashes, with NO immediate regard for her t-bone steaks> I'm more than happy to keep the middle man in the equation, and me out!

Murderer? That may be a bit harsh ... unless that was PETEY!!!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Wink

Isn't that illegal in California and other places???

Just kidding, keep up the good work. The more people know the better the world will be.

Betty,
    I agree with the sentiment reguarding naming dinner! But, even for the kids who will never again clean cook their own food, having some appreaciation for what "someone" has to do to bring dinner to their table I think has some value. And of course, kids who would otherwise catch and keep a fish or two from time to time, may now decide that it isn't so bad and that they might want to.
    The culture I grew up in was so very different from the one that these kids are growing up in... I was taught to respect and appreciate the life of animals that became my meals - even the ones that came to me wrapped in cling wrap, and from the time I was old enough to safely handle a knife, I was expected to clean my own fish and game, and letting one go to waste was considered amongst the worst things a person could do.

by the way... glad you got away and had fun,

take care everybody ,
    Ed

+ Reply to Thread