I had my quarterly diabetes appointment today. Despite all of the efforts I have made in regards to diet and exercise my diabetes is getting progressively worse. I was able to keep my weight down and glucose numbers under control until recently. My fasting numbers had been in the mid 80's to low 100's and two hours post meals had been low 100's to 110's. Those numbers have climbed into the 120's and 140's with big swings in the last few months despite an increase in exercise and strict diet.

Doc is worried about my mental state as well as physical condition. The big swings between highs and lows is really driving my anxiety level through the roof. It's driving me deeper into depression and that drives glucose levels up. Doc explained that it is a dangerous spiral and thought that now it is best to start me on medication. She explained that even though I am more than likely producing sufficient levels of insulin on my own however my insulin intolerance is increasing incrementally. She said that is a normal progression of the disease but early treatment is vital to keeping things under control.

Well they put me on metformin ( generic for glucophage) as doc feels that one has the fewest side effects. She advised me on the side effects of the drug and of course it is even more important now for me to carry and emergency supply of sugar. If anyone has some experience withe this type of med and can advise me on what to expect I would be very grateful for the advice. I just hope this along with the diet and exercise gets me back on track. I have had to burn a lot of leave time this year.