+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Klinkhammer

Default Klinkhammer

What would be the advantages or disadvantages of tying the Klinkhammer pattern on a short vs. a long curved style hook? Most I've seen seem to be on the shorter style hook.

Blog Entries

some say the longer hook means more hookups and fewer misses because of the wider gape. a genuine klinkhammer hook is long with a very wide gape.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

No idea.

But FWIW, it's Klinkhamer with one "m."

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyP View Post
    some say the longer hook means more hookups and fewer misses because of the wider gape. a genuine klinkhammer hook is long with a very wide gape.
    What CaseyP said.

Plus if I remember correctly, the longer body achieved with the longer hook allows the body of the fly to hang lower under the surface of the water.

Here are a few articles that the originator of that fly, Hans van Klinken, wrote. The hook that he specifies in his tying instructions isn't available now. But there is a Partridge hook named the "Klinkhamer" now.
    http://www.mustad.no/catalog/product.php?id=2023

http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10029.htm

http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10030.htm

http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10109.htm

http://www.rackelhanen.se/eng/10110.htm
    Tim

I tie my Klinkhamer style flies on both short shank and long shank hooks, specifically Daiichi 1130's and Partridge 15BNX. The Partridge hook is huge when compared side by side with a same sized (numerically) Daiichi. I haven't noticed a difference in hook up rates or lost fish when using one or the other. I do prefer the look of the flies on the Partridge hook, but that's just me.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Partidges original Klink-Hamer was the 15BN but i believe at Hans's instructions they altered the design slightly and made the 15BNX. So I guess the Partridge is the genuine item. (Strangely Partridge used to call their hooks the Klink-Hammer then corrected the label printing to Klink-Hamer)

In his video Oliver Edwards recreates the pattern to Hans van Klinken's written instructions. He uses the Partridge Klink-hamer hooks but bends them slightly downwards before he ties. Which I am guessing is the alteration Partridges have made.
    Last edited by mickporter; 04-22-2009 at 10:32 PM.
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

I tie my klinkhamers mostly on a Gamakatsu F22.
    Here's one of my results.

Hey everyone,
    The Klink-Hamer is one of my favorite flies as it is so versatile. When I tie up a bunch I usually choose a few odd colours and try out some new ones. It never hurts and they always seem to produce. I prefer the partridge hooks as they look nicer (as Ron EE said) but I do think the longer shank is better than the short shank. Although if you are good at setting the hook, then it might not matter. I have a feeling Ron EE is a million times better at setting the hook than I am, however he may be right.

I like all the klinkhamer hooks made by partrudge. Ihave several packages of the Klink-Hamer Partridge GRS15ST and the BN15. The BN15 is a little sturdier then the 15ST. The BN15 is shiney where the 15ST is matte. Their shape is roughly the same. The BN15x is the BN15 with a more pronounced kink near the eye so you have a more level platform to tie on the post. This also allows the body to hang into the water more and maybe improve the gape of the hook. However I prefer either the 15ST or the 15BN.

phil

Thanks for the advise guys. Will do some shopping and try a few of those brands of hooks. Also thanks to inderk for posting the awesome photo. Thats a great looking pattern.

+ Reply to Thread