+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: float tube fish bag?

Hybrid View

1. Default float tube fish bag?

I fly fish in a float tube for bluegills. These little guys are a lot of fun and I've always practiced catch and release. Now my wife has requested that I bring a batch home for a fish fry. (Who am I to ignore a request like this?)

Anyway, I am looking for suggestions on a practical way to contain the fish so I can gt back to fishing in short order. I don't want to fiddle with a stringer because of the number of fish and time consumed. I've heard of floating fish bags that you can attach to your float tube. You just drop your fish in the top of the basket and get back to fishing.

Has anyone had experience in doing this? Does the fish bag get tangled up with your feet and float tube? Does it really float? Any recommendations with models and experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Galen

Maine, Now I've retired to North Carolina (just south of Fayetteville)

Welcome Aboard Galen;

You do realize that the new member gets the coffee and firewood. lol lol I don't have any answers for you, but you will get results very soon I expect.

Everyone here likes newbies lol lol

Again Welcome

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Talking Welcome to the group!

Hi Galen,

Welcome aboard! Lots of good people and good advice can be found here. Let us hear from you, opinions, advice, and knowledge on a regular basis. 8T

I am also looking for a fish basket to have float in the water next to me. I found one at walmart that floats but is ment for bait fish not bluegill. I would also be worried in them getting hung up in the mesh. I also have seen the metal mess basket that I have used before when I was a kid it worked well, but I don't like the idea of this flaoting next to my tube. I will ask around if I find any more information I will get back to you .

Jeffcpr

Normand Guest

how about a large mesh onion or potato bag from the grocery store??

http://images.google.com/images?q=me...N&hl=en&tab=wi

how about a float tube mesh creel??

http://www.thefloattubestore.com/ind...eavqu7s83pdgn3
    Last edited by Normand; 04-20-2009 at 03:40 PM.

I fish a small lake here with my NuCanoe and fish for the large bluegill and will at times take a mess home. What I have made up is I purchased the regular mesh fish basket that you can pick up at any Wal-Marts or other discount stores. I then use plastic wire ties and fasten the round foam pipe insulation around the neck of the basket. I think I have 3 rows of it around the neck. This holds the neck of the basket up above the water and the larger part below the surface. I also fastened one piece of the foam on the bottom of the top hinged lid which not only helps with the floatation but keeps upward pressure on the hinged lid so it does not flop down. You just push the bluegill down through the hinged top lid and the basket neck stays upright and above the water line. This has worked good for me.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Thumbs up

Hey there Galen,

Have you ever seen a " large " zippered, nylon mesh garment ( for delicate's ) bag for use in the washing machine? I found one at a Dollar store that measures 16" x 19". They're tough enough to take hundreds of washing's and not fall apart. Then all you need is a metal shower curtain clip that gets laced through the mesh at the side seam and clipped to a side hand strap or D-ring on your tube. If the connection point on your tube is to far from the waters surface for the clip alone, then just use a foot or so of 1/8" nylon cord for a lanyard and weave that through the mesh so that it encompasses the side seam, tie it off. Then tie the other end of the cord to the metal shower curtain clip. Total cost, under two bucks.

That's about it, the lake and fish will do the rest. One thing to keep in mind, 'gills have some sharp dorsal rays. Those rays and some float tube bladders aren't all that compatible.

Best, Dave

Last edited by Dave E; 04-20-2009 at 06:43 PM.

I was thinking about using a standard wooden creel but they cost way out of my league as something to modify as soon as I get it.

Welcome aboard! You have definitely came to the right place, everyone here is very helpful!
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Galen,
    Warren's suggestion is excellent. You can also buy (mine came from WalMart) a floating wire fish basket with a hollow plastic hinged lid that floats....Just push on the lid & the fish is held inside, yet can move & remain lively until you put them on ice. I just tie it off to the rear/side & have never had it interfere with landing a fish.
    Welcome to FAOL...If you're not already aware, this is a very special community of wonderful folks.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread