Thread: East Idaho Fly Fishing Expo

Threaded View

Smile East Idaho Fly Fishing Expo

Friday and Saturday was the East Idaho Fly Tying Expo in Idaho Falls attended by hundreds, if not thousands of people, over the two days. Today was the East Idaho Fly Fishing Expo at Birch Creek, attended by REE and VEE and me. There was one other car at an access on Birch Creek, but we never saw the person who parked it there.

After showing a prime stretch of water to Ron and Vickie, pointing out places that normally give up some fishies, I headed on downstream to explore some new water, leaving Ron and Vickie to fish however they wanted.

Ron caught onto Birch Creek pretty quickly. He did observe later how differently it fished compared to the kind of water he normally fishes.

Vickie was a little rusty and took a bit longer to get up a head of steam. With a bit of coaching, she ended with a flurry. After catching a good number over the first four hours on a variety of flies, fishing a variation of one of my favorite flies, she raised four trouts in one hole and ended up with the bow above in one of the toughest holes on Birch Creek in the last thirty minutes.

For some more pics of REE and VEE on Birch Creek, click on the photo.

I really enjoyed spending the day with Ron and Vickie and showing off our Central Mountains, complete with great weather, bunches of pronghorn antelope, fourteen or fifteen Rocky Mountain Big Horn Sheep, and a bucketfull of bows and brookies for each of them.

Thanks, guys, for a great day. We'll do it again next April when you come over to TIE at the Expo.

John
    Last edited by JohnScott; 04-20-2009 at 01:45 PM.
    The fish are always right.