I posted this question on another board I frequent and didn't receive any replies. So, maybe it's a stupid question but I'm still going to ask it here.

How should flies sit when on the water - specifically Catskill Dry flies?

I was fishing a local stream yesterday and got into a Hendrickson hatch so I tied on a #14 Red Quill to 5x fluoro tippet. Casting the fly out it would sometimes land upright floating normally and other times it would land with the tail fibers pointing straight down underwater and the nose up - floating along supported by the hackle collar only. Didn't happen all the time but enough that I noticed.

I'm using spade hackle for my tails purchased from Collins Hackle Farm and they're very stiff. I don't flare my tails (at least not intentionally) - I like them in as tight a bunch as possible.

I guess I've never really noticed this before so I'm wondering if it's normal for this to happen periodically? Do most of you guys somehow flare your tails? Am I over-obsessing here?

I use Gink as my floatant and perhaps it's just a signal that I need to apply more?

On a bright note the trout didn't seem to mind very much - I did VERY well for my first time out this season.