+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scariest Drives (not ff)

Default Scariest Drives (not ff)

How many of these places have you driven?: http://travel.yahoo.com/p-interests-...VzLTQtMTUtMDk-
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Beartooth
    Aspen to Leadville

On a Harley several times, I wouldn't call it scary. Just a ride.
    Last edited by catman; 04-18-2009 at 11:36 PM.
    I was born at night, but not last night.
    Odds are with the prepared...

Cool Missing scariest drives

Besides the obvious "Going to the Sun" road in Glacier N.P., how about I-696 in Detroit or
    M-46 in Tuscola County.

Highway 50, from Utah state line to Nevada state line... on a bicycle.

John

i've done 2 of them. Hyway 1/Big Sur and Dalton. I will throw in another one; Hyway 129 in WA going south out of Anatone, before they put the gaurd rails in, scary.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I'm with ya on the I-696 in Detroit!!!!!!! My wife and I drive across Canada and come back into the US over the Ambassador Bridge (NO DAMNED WAY YOU"D GET ME IN THE TUNNEL) to visit my daughter. What a ZOO the highways are around Detroit!!!!!!

Fatman

For my money, nothing tops The Precipice dropping down into Bella Coola from the coast range crest. It's a full-cut bench (or was 30 years ago) sloped to the outside barely a lane wide with no guard rails--and no pavement. All you see is the drop to the outside, which seemed pretty close to 1,000 feet to the river. We did it with a fully loaded pickup--a freezer full of meat, tools, household goods, etc. That's the only time I've actually had to stand on the brakes to get a car/truck to slow down, and when we did get down there was a big sign telling travelers to beware of the grizzlies.

Every other road or non-road I've driven since pales by comparison.

I'm one of those that revels in twisty roads.

Speaking of Harleys. Got behind a couple on 2 Harleys. The lady was obviously a new rider or scared to death. Was going up "Million Dollar Highway" out of Ouray, Co. in a rental Jeep and these folks were going literally 20 mph and we had cars stacked up behind them like crazy. We came to a road construction area and I got out and asked if I could go ahead of them. You'da thought I asked if I could violate her by their rude response. I went by them anyway the first time I got the chance.
    Hate to say this but sometimes Harley riders can be the rudest!! Most are just fine but some seem to love confrontation.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 04-17-2009 at 04:53 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Does every time my girlfriend drives in traffic count for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    I'm with ya on the I-696 in Detroit!!!!!!! My wife and I drive across Canada and come back into the US over the Ambassador Bridge (NO DAMNED WAY YOU"D GET ME IN THE TUNNEL) to visit my daughter. What a ZOO the highways are around Detroit!!!!!!

Fatman
    Or chicago. I had to muscle my way around on I-90 in chicago at 3am. There was still more traffic than the town of Bozeman has ever seen at 3am!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread