Hi,

Just back to Manchester after a week's holiday trip to Edinburgh. No fishing for me, and no fly tying either. However, the other day we stopped into the local library to let our daughter play in the play area. I had a brief nosey around and by total coincedence found myself in a section of books that included fly fishing! I picked one, the title and author of which I'm ashamed to admit I've forgotten, and had a look. It was a daily diary of a years fishing by the author. I only had a chance to read one or two entries, but in it he listed the dressing of a north country spider fly that he had particular luck with, a buzzard and grouse.

It was a body of buzzard herl, ribbed with primrose silk, with a turn of grouse hackle. I have no idea what colour the buzzard would be, but I imagine it to be brownish (which makes me think pheasant tail hurl as a substitute). It's an English book, so it would be a UK buzzard of some sort.

Anyway, as I picture it in my mind's eye I see it as a very fishy looking pattern, especially tied small, size 16 say.

Anyone who has some spare buzzard laying around can feel free to tie one up and post a photo!

- Jeff