+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why I like GLASS

The initial post brought back memories of the first rod I built--a 7 1/2 Orvis Fullflex. I took it to Bob Ward's to show off to the guy who mentored me through the project, and he put all of a 90-foot line out with that rod. I never could do that, although I've come close. I sure did catch a bunch of Montana trout on that rod and quite a few in Washington as well.

As I've had a lot of time sitting around lately, I've decided that I need to rebuild that rod (wore pretty bad grooves in the guides) and fish it this year, along with the Fenwick that was my original "good" fly rod.

Also, I've decided to go back to glass in freshwater for trout--I'm trying to find an appropriate reel for my Fenwick as I sold the Pflueger I originally had on it, and I'm contemplating picking up another couple (or more) glass rods I've a line on--like I don't have enough to do...it's a sickness, I'm beginning to think.

I will bet, the 'guy' who made that cast was Rich Ward. He was a buddy of ours, a great caster and actually was the first 'F.F.F. 'Master Casting Instructor.' For years he and Tom White, the second 'Master" were a rep. outfit for amongst many, G Loomis being one.
    Oh gosh, could there be anything more fitting than an old 1492 or 1494? And NO RIM DRAG either!

Here is the original post of the photo.
    http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/topic/8774
    As to how many glass rods are in use out there. You would be surprised
    I love my fenwick 805. I've never heard of anyone breaking a fiberglass rod on a fish.
    Desertman
    There are moments when, whatever be the attitude of the body, the soul is on its knees.
    R.Y.

JC,
    That "guy" doesn't resemble Rich Ward. This is a pic of "himself" taken in Sept 05' when I had the pleasure of being humbled by his casting skills on the South Fork of the Snake. The dude whips a mean stick. I did pick up a few tips such as the book between elbow and body
    of casting arm.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    I will bet, the 'guy' who made that cast was Rich Ward. He was a buddy of ours, a great caster and actually was the first 'F.F.F. 'Master Casting Instructor.' For years he and Tom White, the second 'Master" were a rep. outfit for amongst many, G Loomis being one.
    Oh gosh, could there be anything more fitting than an old 1492 or 1494? And NO RIM DRAG either!
    Well, judging by the photo above, it wasn't Rich Ward. This was, dast I say it?, back in 1972 when Bob Ward's primary store was downtown on Higgins (I think I've got the street right)--back in the day when you could get a plate-lopping cut of prime rib at the Ox for $2 and change. That was also the summer when I "discovered" a massive stonefly hatch on the Clark Fork just out of town (not the famed salmonfly but a slightly smaller version) that would light up the river and give me several browns between 15 and 20 inches every afternoon. That is one reason I always carry and use the Kolzer Orange to this day.

The reel on my Orvis was (and will be) a little System 5 from Scientific Anglers (similar to the Hardy Marquis), but I do miss the old Medalists. I'm trying to find a 1492 or 2 1/2 for a Lamiglas four-weight I'm thinking hard about building in my "spare" time. Then I have the Fenwick, which needs a 1494 or 5...

Well darn! He was working in the store a lot back then; just seemed natural it was him. He is one of the best I have ever watched at keeping his hand lower than his ear when casting. Very low arm and very powerful stroke. He had some gear for sale on here a couple of years back, have net heard from him in way too long.

As I understand it, Ron and Vickie Eagle Elk knows who this guy is.

Yup, that's 'ol "Mr. Wonderful" himself. Glad you got to fish with him.

Default Glass making a comeback?

We have been selling the remains of the Diamondglass S-2 fiberglass blanks, and the response is incredible. I have been told that there is a trend towards fishing with more moderate action rods, and I'm starting to see it. I like to use the "slowest" action rod I can get away with in any particular situation.

There's only one place to go after fiberglass and it starts with a "B!"

Ron

im wondering if anyone has tried the new hardy fiberglass rods? i just saw them on a website and they look sweet and are priced really nice. any info would be nice.
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

+ Reply to Thread