Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
I will bet, the 'guy' who made that cast was Rich Ward. He was a buddy of ours, a great caster and actually was the first 'F.F.F. 'Master Casting Instructor.' For years he and Tom White, the second 'Master" were a rep. outfit for amongst many, G Loomis being one.
Oh gosh, could there be anything more fitting than an old 1492 or 1494? And NO RIM DRAG either!
Well, judging by the photo above, it wasn't Rich Ward. This was, dast I say it?, back in 1972 when Bob Ward's primary store was downtown on Higgins (I think I've got the street right)--back in the day when you could get a plate-lopping cut of prime rib at the Ox for $2 and change. That was also the summer when I "discovered" a massive stonefly hatch on the Clark Fork just out of town (not the famed salmonfly but a slightly smaller version) that would light up the river and give me several browns between 15 and 20 inches every afternoon. That is one reason I always carry and use the Kolzer Orange to this day.

The reel on my Orvis was (and will be) a little System 5 from Scientific Anglers (similar to the Hardy Marquis), but I do miss the old Medalists. I'm trying to find a 1492 or 2 1/2 for a Lamiglas four-weight I'm thinking hard about building in my "spare" time. Then I have the Fenwick, which needs a 1494 or 5...