+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Why I like GLASS

Uncle Barry Guest

Good afternoon.
    Glass and or any other rod is all about how its driven.

As an example, driving a graphite 12foot 7/8w class Double rod during Underhand casting from a Seaway wall while chasing Tailor/Bluefish.

If you make the rod load deeply it will perform for you.

Kind regards,
    UB

Quote Originally Posted by mnklagoon View Post
    im wondering if anyone has tried the new hardy fiberglass rods? i just saw them on a website and they look sweet and are priced really nice. any info would be nice.
    mnklagoon:

I cast the 6'0" 3wt which I believe is called the "Brook" and the 8'0" 5wt "Trout Fisher". The first thing I noticed is the small rod cross section at the butt. Hardy adds 10% graphite to the rod to increase hoop strength and ultimate power. The second thing I noticed is the fit & finish of the complete rod package. The Hardy glass rods are gorgeous right down to the fancy rod tube! I believe they are only available as two piece and they are fitted with the classic, semi-translucent white internal spigot ferrules found on many high end glass rods like the Winston Retro.

I am a big glass fan and use fiberglass for a LOT of my trout fishing so my opinions may be somewhat biased and based on my limited previous experience with glass beyond the rods in my quiver. So with that disclaimer in mind, I have to say I found the new Hardy rods delightful to cast. If I didn't already own a sweet 6'0" 3wt and an 8'0" 5wt in glass, I'd buy those two rods in a heartbeat!

They had a smooth medium action and fluid feel and easily handled the casting ranges I'd be using them for, although they could easily leg out a decent cast by any standards. They seemed to be true to the stated line weight and loaded extremely well at shorter distances.

I didn't have the opportunity to fish with them nor actually try throwing a fly on a regular leader, but I suspect I would have been happy with the results if I did. I also expect fish fighting would be a blast to say the least, especially with the "Brook" which would make a perfect small mountain stream brookie rod.

If you like medium/progressive action rods, I think you would like the Hardy rods. If you are even remotely interested, seek out a dealer and take them for a test drive.

BTW - If your budget would allow it, adding one of the new Hardy "Lightweight" reels to the rod makes for an incredibly sexy combo!

I bought Softhacklr's Diamondglass rod when he posted it for sale back in November or December. I had kept it in dry dock waiting for dry fly season to start, but I couldn't control myself any longer and broke it out, I believe, in late February.

Now I can't put it down. Surprisingly good as a nymphing rod (I do long line nymphing as well as short), rollcasts like a dream and is a beautiful dry fly casting rod. I couldn't be more thrilled to be fishing this rod right now. I had to laugh when even this guy put a bend in it, although slight. That fish was 4 inches long, tops!

I think, therefore I fish.

thats the set up im thinking about. the reason i was asking is i have no where to try one out soooo i was asking for opinions. i got a check in the mail on friday from my dear old aunt telling me to go buy a happy! i wanted to use it on a new rod/reel set up and a merrimack canoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle View Post
    mnklagoon:

I cast the 6'0" 3wt which I believe is called the "Brook" and the 8'0" 5wt "Trout Fisher". The first thing I noticed is the small rod cross section at the butt. Hardy adds 10% graphite to the rod to increase hoop strength and ultimate power. The second thing I noticed is the fit & finish of the complete rod package. The Hardy glass rods are gorgeous right down to the fancy rod tube! I believe they are only available as two piece and they are fitted with the classic, semi-translucent white internal spigot ferrules found on many high end glass rods like the Winston Retro.

I am a big glass fan and use fiberglass for a LOT of my trout fishing so my opinions may be somewhat biased and based on my limited previous experience with glass beyond the rods in my quiver. So with that disclaimer in mind, I have to say I found the new Hardy rods delightful to cast. If I didn't already own a sweet 6'0" 3wt and an 8'0" 5wt in glass, I'd buy those two rods in a heartbeat!

They had a smooth medium action and fluid feel and easily handled the casting ranges I'd be using them for, although they could easily leg out a decent cast by any standards. They seemed to be true to the stated line weight and loaded extremely well at shorter distances.

I didn't have the opportunity to fish with them nor actually try throwing a fly on a regular leader, but I suspect I would have been happy with the results if I did. I also expect fish fighting would be a blast to say the least, especially with the "Brook" which would make a perfect small mountain stream brookie rod.

If you like medium/progressive action rods, I think you would like the Hardy rods. If you are even remotely interested, seek out a dealer and take them for a test drive.

BTW - If your budget would allow it, adding one of the new Hardy "Lightweight" reels to the rod makes for an incredibly sexy combo!
    "some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God." Tony Blake

Quote Originally Posted by hackleman57 View Post
    We have been selling the remains of the Diamondglass S-2 fiberglass blanks, and the response is incredible. I have been told that there is a trend towards fishing with more moderate action rods, and I'm starting to see it. I like to use the "slowest" action rod I can get away with in any particular situation.

There's only one place to go after fiberglass and it starts with a "B!"

Ron
    If that's true I'm glad to hear it. I have always been a fan of slow and moderate action rods, and my glass Orvis Fullflex A is still a great rod to fish with.
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

mnklagoon:

Just so you don't buy blind and trust my opinions ; try contacting John Shaner at Hardy and see if he can get one of the rods in your hands for a test. He's may not be the rep for your area but if he isn't, he can tell you who is.

717-371-9950
    jshaner@hardygreys.com

Good luck!

Follow the line back in the original post. Looks like you hooked the power lines
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Now wouldn't that be SHOCKING
    But, nope, right in the middle of a big park.

I should let you guys read this too.
    http://colo2.flyanglersonline.com/pr...perfection.php

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    I should let you guys read this too.
    http://colo2.flyanglersonline.com/pr...perfection.php
    The JET was a hell of a rod, and I agree with the article of how smooth they were. I've had the pleasure to throw the new Hardy's and they are different than the JET in that they are a little faster, but just as smooth. The 4w Test was my favorite. Bamboozled has it nailed down as far as cosmetics go. They are a great casting tool especially for the price.
    Now on another note, Tom Morgan is coming out with some blanks soon (rolled by Kerry Burkheimer and supposedly a ruby red color) for under $300. His finished rods, will be far and few, will go for $1245 (last time I checked.)

+ Reply to Thread