+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gotti Rods

Default Gotti Rods

I would appreciate opinions by users/builders of Gatti Rods.

I have a very good friend I am thinking of building a rod for. He appreciates fine, high quality gear and things that are less common. I think he might really enjoy a Gatti. I recently got started in building rods and this would be a great excuse to start another.

How do they stack up against rods like I am more familiar with, like Sage, Winston, etc.?

What do you like and dislike about them?

Based on what I've read on their web site they seem like excellent rods, but that's based on what they say and their "philosophy". I would like to hear from actual users.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Ralph Tomaccio (edited 02 December 2005).]

I think "Gotti" rods are better for "Whacking"
    Forgetaboutit!
    Now Gatti makes a good Fly Rod.........

DuFf

------------------
    Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints....

I hvae built and fished both Gatti and Sage rods. They both make excellent blanks that make first quailty rods. I'm not sure that I can point out any one thing that I like more or less about Gatti over Sage unless it is the longer replacement time for the Gatti in the event of breakage. Your friend will undoubtably be very pleased with any rod you build on either Gatti or Sage.

Jim Smith

Ralph,
    I have and fish with a Gatti 7 1/2', 4 weight, FRCPA. Without a doubt, it is my best rod. It does all the things a fly rod is supposed to do. Delicate presentation, and lots of backbone when needed. There isn't another 7 1/2'er in a 4 weight that I would rather own. Unless, it was one of Ron Kusse's Black Trolls. My suggestion would be for you to buy 2 blanks. Because once you cast it, you won't want to let it go. If I had the bucks, I'd go for a 7'9", 3wght. I'd put a Venerri burl wood, cap & ring reel seat on it with a burled cork cigar grip. That's probably all I would fish with for the most part.
    Have fun with whatever you choose, and let us know. OK?

------------------
    Life, is the time He gave you to determine where you want to spend eternity.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Ralph,
    I have three Gatti rods, an FR864-3PA, an FR905-3PA, and an FR906-TA. They are my three favorite rods. I haven't cast a rod that I like better.
    I have no interest in Gatti other than being a very satisfied customer.

Bob

------------------
    There is a fine line between fly fishing, and standing in the water waving a stick.

Like any other maker, they are differences in the actions. Make certain that you choose a blank that suits his style or preference.

Gatti is a goodie.
    I like mine. For me it was a better rod than the Thomas and Thomas Horizon.
    Note: For me, not necessarily for anyone else. The real question is, is it a good rod for your friend.

jed

Ralph,

The opinions and observations expressed in this reply are strictly my own.

I bought a Gatti FRHR 905 TA direct from Gatti. The
    tip ferrule was so mismatched with the center section that they slipped together a full 4 inches thus giving me a rod much shorter than the intended 9 footer. I contacted Gattiand and after some correspondence, they sent me a replacement tip.

The first time I used the rod the replacement tip
    exploded into 3 pieces while fighting a 10 inch brook
    trout. No, I was not abusing the rod.

Again I contacted Gatti. I did not ask them to replace the broken tip but I did purchase two new tip blanks for the rod at a price of $70 each as I recall. A bit expensive for an unfinished tip blank I thought.

As I was building up the tip blanks I noticed a a
    definite difference in the tip diameters. A quick
    check with the mike confirmed what my eyes told me. The tip diameters measured 0.078, 0.072, and the original 0.059 inches.

I have not cast the rod since I made up the new tip
    sections and have my doubts that all tips will perform as a 5 wt rod.

Needless to say, all of this does not inspire me
    with a lot of confidence in Gatti's quality control.
    Overall, Gatti keeps the final weight of the rod down
    by using light weight components, single foot guides
    with short feet and a minimum of thread wrapping (a
    good thing), however there is an excess of epoxy in
    front of each guide (not a good thing).

I don't think I would buy another Gatti rod even though it was a pleasant casting rod the only time I fished with it.

Ralph

I have a bunch of Gattis, Sages and Winstons among others, and have ffished/casted a few hundred over the years.

Gattis are very straight tracking, even compared to some of the recent Sages. They are also quite light and some (the FRHP) are quick to the extreme.

Winstons, like T&T in your back yard, or for that matter, Diamondbacks up that way, have a much different feel. This is maybe what Sage with their famous LL series and the later SPL's and SLT's were trying to get to. At first blush these actions feel softer, slower, perhaps more progressive. The folks who fancy them are less into casting machines than fishing instruments, particularly with light tippets.

Durability isn't the long suit for brittle (many high modulus models) hollow plastic tubes. Gatti is no exception to this rule. If durability is your main consideration, older E Glass and especially (solid) bamboo is the way to go.

I get the impression that graphite fractures are like laptop computer failures - if something bad doesn't happen right away, chances are good that you'll be just fine. Unless, of course, you bruise the rod shaft with lead or beadheads or metal boat gunwales.

Although I love my Winstons, Gattis are gaining market share (measured by total ffishing hrs this year), since they cast, feel and ffish wonderfully.

There's a lot to be said for working through a dealer rather than directly transacting internationally. Stuff like matching up the section diameters can be done ahead of time for you, not sight unseen. And in the event of a warranty issue, you will have a knowledgable advocate. As I recall there's an FAOL sponsor from Helena MT who's very service minded and customer oriented.

Good luck

------------------
    tl
    les

10. Default

It's sounding like the progressive action series of Gatti rods may also be the most durable. Would this be true?

+ Reply to Thread