Quote Originally Posted by PAangler View Post
Fishin Bill,

When tying with elk or deer hair it's always a good idea to comb out the short hair (I use an old tooth brush). I would also suggest you use a hair stacker, if you aren't already. It's a good way to make sure that all of the hair is even (probably some of the reason why some of your flys seem to have too much hair and others not enough. When tying the fly, hold the hair stack on top and make two loose wraps with your thread. On the third wrap pull tighter, but make sure you are pulling up not down on the thread, this should keep the thread from breaking. On subsequent wraps tighted more, always pulling tighter up not down. Trim the hair to make a head and whip finish (I actually only use a couple of half hitches with head cement) This technique will keep the hair wing from moving.

If it seems like you still have too much hair on the fly, you probably do.
Good Thread and thanks for the tip above. I have been struggling with Madam X's and getting things to stay. I have one early tie of the Madam I call the Amityville Horror because the head likes to spin around! LOL. Hopefully the fish will have some sympathy as mentioned above. This has given me a couple of good ideas to improve!