+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dan Craft Sig V or FT?

Default Dan Craft Sig V or FT?

I'm trying to decide which blank to build on. In the past, I have used the FT but now I'm thinking a slower action might be preferable.

for you rod builders that have used these blanks, what are your opinions?

I have built a rod on the FT blanks and they are very fast and I would rate them at least one line size higher than the manufacturer. The Sig V suit my casting preference much better and I like med-fast rods. They also have a few new models of the FTL blank which are tad slower than the FT but cast very nice. I consider them fast but not like the FT. If you choose the Sig V I would suggest using the lightest componets you can get to keep the weight down.

Good Luck,

Jet
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" - unknown author

Blog Entries

I don't have the FT, but I have the old version of the Sig V. I love that blank. If the new ones are anything like the old, you can't go wrong. It is a bit slower in action, but can fire line out there if you need it to.
    I also just recently built on of Dan's FTL blanks. WOW, what a light blank! My 9' 6 piece 6 weight weighs less than some of my shorter rods. The FTL is a bit slower action than the FT, but is lighter than the Sig Vs. It might be one to consider as well.
    Call and talk to Dan. He's a great resource and will help you decide what will fit your style and needs.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I built an 8wt on a Sig V blank for my Alaska trip in 07. I loaded it with a 9wt WF floater and couldn't load the rod, but when I loaded it with a 10wt WF floater it casts like a dream and shoots like a cannon. This is my favorite big fish rod and I recommend it highly!

Kelly
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Default DC blanks

Jet and the others are all right on.
    The FT is as fast as you will find, but I assume you know that since you have built on it. The Sig V is a nice blank, I loved how my older model Sig V 3/4 wt rod casted. I don't think the newer ones are the lightest rods out there, so if the FTL is lighter (the only one I haven't built on) I would probably look at that.
    Good luck.

Blog Entries

I believe that the FTL is lighter than the Sig V, but I'm not sure if I recall correctly.
    BTW, he's also offering a XFT blank now. Light with an extra fast taper. Looks to be a 57-60 mod blend (similar to the Batson RX8+?). Sounds interesting if you like the super fast action.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

I do like the FT but I notice while practicing for certification that on short casts, I don't have any feel. As I get further out, 30ft and more, then I start to be able to feel the line load the rod. So, I was considering a more moderate action rod.

by the way, thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by ol' blue View Post
    I believe that the FTL is lighter than the Sig V, but I'm not sure if I recall correctly.
    BTW, he's also offering a XFT blank now. Light with an extra fast taper. Looks to be a 57-60 mod blend (similar to the Batson RX8+?). Sounds interesting if you like the super fast action.
    I shudder to think about an extra fast FT....the FT is about as fast as I have ever casted.

+ Reply to Thread