+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: carp

Default carp

ok it is spawing season for carp in east texas they are in every cove and small pocket of the lakes i fish i can see them hear them but for the life of me i cant catch one and sure would like to catch my first one on a fly rod. this is the first year i have tried with a fly so do any of you have any suggestions what i am doing wrong, have thrown small nymps, crawdads wolly buggers just to name a few but no luck.

robin

Spawning fish have more important things on their mind than eating. Your better off looking for feeding fish rooting around on the bottom and casting to them. My best luck with carp has been putting a weighted fly on the bottom right in front of them or swimming it up to them and dropping it in front of them. If they don't see it at first, hop it a little bit to get their attention. My carp fishing so far has been limited to rivers so far though, so people with more experience will give you more advice.

There's also a book I got for Christmas, Carp on the Fly, that is a great resource if your just getting started carp fishing and are serious about learning more about it. I haven't read through the whole thing yet, but its where I turn when I can't figure them out.

When the fish are shallow, it's time to sight fish for them. Preferably by wading. Creep along slowly and look for feeding fish. When you see a fish, sneak up on them as quietly as possible and put a fly in front of their face. Usually anything brown or green and mossy looking will do the trick.

This video will give you an idea of how we do it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApoLbOT0nZs

What he said

Last year put over 100 carp in the net on the fly. It is more about presentation than what exact fly. Sometimes they are picky and you do have to change flies, but most put too much emphasis on what pattern instead of thinking about what presentation.

Think 3 things: location, put the fly in the zone, and learn to tell signal from noise.

Location, you think that you have that down pat, but as Joe mentioned you found spawning fish, you need to find feeding fish. You are looking for fish called tailers. Head down, tail up is the tell tale sign of feeding fish. Spend time finding these before you wet your line.

Fly in the zone. As Joe Cool also mentioned, I cast beyond the fish, bring it within their VERY SHORT strike zone and let it fall to the bottom. We are talking about fish in shallow water here. Off of the point of their nose take a 45 degree left and right and this 90 degree window is where I try to put the fly. They are not bass and will not chase a fly a great distance. The fly needs to be close, within 8" of the nose or so. 2' away isn't close enough.

Now the third leg of the three legged table is to tell signal from noise. What I mean by this is that you have to be able to distinguish a bite from no bite. It isn't bass fishing again. If you are waiting for a strike you will be waiting a long time. Most times I don't feel a bite or even see the line move at all. You must wear polaroid lens. You know where you dropped your fly, you see the fish MOVE the short 8" to the fly and reposition - head down tail up. Count to 2 and hook set! Seriously, out of well over 100 fish in the net in my log, I can't count the number of fish that I felt bite on one hand.

Find 'em
    put the fly in the zone
    Signal from noise

Then hang on, 'cause you gonna have fun!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by joe cool View Post
    Spawning fish have more important things on their mind than eating. Your better off looking for feeding fish rooting around on the bottom and casting to them. My best luck with carp has been putting a weighted fly on the bottom right in front of them or swimming it up to them and dropping it in front of them. If they don't see it at first, hop it a little bit to get their attention. My carp fishing so far has been limited to rivers so far though, so people with more experience will give you more advice.

There's also a book I got for Christmas, Carp on the Fly, that is a great resource if your just getting started carp fishing and are serious about learning more about it. I haven't read through the whole thing yet, but its where I turn when I can't figure them out.

What he said

After watching Patrick in the video this brings up another point. I have taken more fishing inside of 15" than I have at over 40'. If you fish with a 9' rod many times I have only a foot of fly line out of the last guide and leader. We call it dappling, almost using the fly rod like a cane pole. I know it isn't like throwing those 60' casts with pretty loops, but it gives you the control to make point number 2 work - put it in the zone. You just have a lot of control doing it this way. Good point Poke 'em.

Quote Originally Posted by Poke 'Em View Post
    When the fish are shallow, it's time to sight fish for them. Preferably by wading. Creep along slowly and look for feeding fish. When you see a fish, sneak up on them as quietly as possible and put a fly in front of their face. Usually anything brown or green and mossy looking will do the trick.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Thumbs up Thank you for the great video!

Hi Pokem,

Your video showed me something very important about carp fishing that I didn't know. Sneak more and cast less. Your fishing style looks almost like Czech nymphing without current. Great video! 8T

Thanks Eight Thumbs! When the water gets warm and the fish are actively feeding, it can be a lot of fun. I've had 20-25 fish days that way.

I would really like to catch my first carp this year. While I have made a few casts to them before, I haven't seriously targeted them. Is there a water temp where they start to actively feed in the shallows?
    Tim

Thanks Eight Thumbs! When the water gets warm and the fish are actively feeding, it can be a lot of fun. I've had 20-25 fish days that way.
    That's funny. You posted that while I was typing.

Can you tell me what you mean by "warm"? I'm north of you a little ways in Kansas City, and am trying to figure out when I need to start trying to target them. I've been monitoring the water temps, and we're still hovering around 49 deg up here.
    Tim

This guy was caught this year on Feb 10th in Wisconsin in water temps in the mid 30s. They eat all year and can be caught all year, but are more active in the summer months. In other words, grab your rod and go now instead of waiting. Seriously my best time in still in the summer months. I move to chasing them when the vegetation on the trout streams gets over my head and it just becomes ugly to chase trout in July and August. I fish almost exclusively for carp then.
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread