Thread: Not a Major Consumer?

Threaded View

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Red face Not a Major Consumer?

Hi Folks,

Let me start off by saying that I am an enthusiastic fly fisherman who fishes at least three times a week during the season (often much more and BTW the season is long here in SC). I bought a lot of new fly fishing equipment when I returned to the sport in 2001. I purchased "bang for the buck" equipment which included several complete Orvis Clearwater outfits and several Cabela's Clear Creek outfits which ranged from $140-$250. Given some old equipment I still had, including a couple of Medalist reels, I can select an ideal outfit for any type of fishing I chose from small-stream brook trout to medium saltwater fish like reds or bones. I've got a pair of neoprene waders and a very nice pair of breathables. Two pairs of wading boots (one felt and stud sole for streams and one plain rubber sole for lakes and ponds. I've got two vests fully stocked with nippers, forceps, fly boxes, etc., one for cold water and one for warm water both all set to go. There is also some stray stuff like a wading staff, rain jacket, stripping basket and a couple of hats.
    Sorry to make you read all that but I needed to set the stage before getting to my question. Even though I fish regularly, I buy almost no fly fishing equipment any more. Since I tie my own flies, I'm usually picking up a couple of leaders, a spool of tippet, or a tin of floatant. I had to replace a stream thermometer this spring and may replace a well worn fly line. Other than that, I'm not even tempted to spend money. I have no desire for Super Duper New Rod which will allow you to throw a fly line at the speed of light or a new wading staff with an automatic self-righting feature. I'm just not an equipment junkie and have all the stuff that I need. I will replace what is used up, wears out or breaks but that's about it. I bare no ill feelings toward equipment junkies or those who enjoy fishing with the very best equipment that they can afford. I also realize that the fly fishing industry is going to be in trouble if there are a lot of people around like me who aren't interested in their new and improved yearly offerings. What I was wondering was how many of our FAOL members are basically non-consumers of additional fly fishing equipment at this time by free choice? How many have all the stuff they need or want?
    Don't worry Denny, fly tying is another story altogether. 8T
    Last edited by Eight Thumbs; 04-12-2009 at 10:28 PM.