For myself, I will obsess on something if I feel it will have a major impact on my success, and usually wont rest untill I've gotten it. After that, I want to be done with that purchase. If I need customer service anywhere in the process, well then, that to me is worth more than the item itself.I want to support those who are passionate enought about the sport to try to make a living at it. If I had lots of money, I might be gearhead for that reason alone.
The stuff itself interests me less.

I dont return to businesses who are rude,unresponsive, and wont back up their products. I have a pontoon boat that I actually like, but I wont upgrade with that Co. again because of poor customer service.Nor will I shop with the local shop who sold it to me, because of their unfortunate choice of 15 yr old shop clerks who made it necessary for me to contact the co in the first place. I will probably upgrade to a pontoon boat company that has the designers persons name right on the product.I will expect, and probably get better service.

For me,its all about the relationships involved with the purchase. Stuff is stuff, its value highly subjective and always changeing. But integrity people trying to make a go in an important sport like flyfishing will always have my attention and my business.I want them to succeed! When I get rich,I plan on buying lots of stuff from these fine folks. Untill then, I will get what I need from them,plus a little more...