+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gotta love Larry

Default Gotta love Larry

Watching tonight 'Hunt for big fish,' Larry Dahlberg. How neat! He was fishing with another guy who reads and sometimes writes here too. In case you missed Larry on TV, here is a link to the fellow he was fishing with. Just another tribute to a great guy and a wise choice in his guide.
    http://colo2.flyanglersonline.com/fe...rldwide/india/

I watched that tonite too. For some reason, 18 hrs. flying, 6 hours on a train and another 7 hrs. in an automobile just doesn't thrill the hello out of me. I think I could find some big fish north in Canada and Alaska and a lot closer than India. But then again, I'd take the trip if offered.
    So what's the deal with the 10+ bodies a day thrown in the river? I missed a few things.

I guess rafting gets out of hand.

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell View Post
    I guess rafting gets out of hand.
    ROFLMAO!!
    Wet wadin' hillbilly extraordinaire

Man is most nearly himself when he achieves the seriousness of a child at play.

Heraclitus

As some of you you know, I spent a couple of years in India in the '70s. I lived not far from Dhillon Sahib's city of Chandigarh in a small town located on the banks of the Sutlej River (one of the 5 rivers that make up the Indus River drainage) in the northwester state of Punjab. I spent my time doing dairy development work. I kick myself now for not taking some time to fish the river. The name of the town is Rupnagar (Ropar back then) and is the site of a dam that creates a lake which stores water for irrigation to the south. The lake that Misty talks of fishing, Govind Sagar, is upstream from here on the Sutlej, behind the Bakra-Nangal dam, which provides hydropower and irrigation as well.

I long to return to Punjab and hope that someday I have the opportunity to do so. But, this time, I'll have fly rod along!!

Jeff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RS1 View Post
    <snip>
    So what's the deal with the 10+ bodies a day thrown in the river? I missed a few things.
    You don't way where you're from, but I'm guessing somewhere in New Jersey near NYC...

regards,
    Ed

The ten bodies a day (or more) is from the Hindu practice of cremating the bodies at river side. When the fire has consumed most of the body, the remains are then pushed into the river.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

Ron, it's one of those things that had bumped around in the back of my mind for nearly 4 decades, the idea of those catfish grabbing people off the steps in Delhi where they were taking ritual baths. I had a aunt, uncle, and cousins who lived in New Delhi for 2-3 years. I got all sorts of stories, including the time that a cobra got in their breezeway and they had to get it shooed off instead of using a shotgun on it. I also got some really neat books. That's where I learned about those catfish.

The bodies in New Jersey? Well, I guess I need to lay of "Law and Order" for a while...

Thanks,
    Ed

+ Reply to Thread