+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebranding - Something I want to know

Hybrid View

Default Rebranding - Something I want to know

Anyone maintain a list of which FFing items are the same thing?

I know the old Okuma Airframe reels were the same as the Redington Crosswaters and one made by Cabelas.

Others? Seems like the Orivs rods are very similar in description to the Sages.

I would like to get a list started, if for no other reason than to be able to get spare parts for those which need them. I have Airframes and Crosswaters that I can use interchangably.

Thanks!!
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Early Sage 50x series click pawl reels were Hardy Reels. I have a 506 which is similar to a Hardy Marquis Reel. Note the "Made in England" engraving.

See the following posts on different BB about the Sage 50"X" series of reels

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/...d.php?p=266060

"The Sage 506 was made by Hardy and is one of their finest examples. A significant step up from the Marquis, and highly sought-after. $325 sounds a little bit high, but I'd grab it if it's in primo condition. They're exceptional reels, beautifully finished, and will hold their value. "

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/flyta...ad.php?t=19073

"The Sage 50x brown annodized series was made by Hardy for Sage and has been long discontinued. This reel was the first bar stock with annodized finish made by Hardy...

The pawl assembly and adjustment is identical to the Hardy Princess and Lightweight series, all the parts are interchangable. LH to RH conversion is a simple flip of the pawls like all of the typical Hardy designs, no tools required."
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

You'll find House of Hardy made quite a lot of other companies reels years ago, JW Young did also. Orvis Golden Eagles glass rods were made by Phillipson.
    Orvis rods are made by Orvis just as Sage is built by Sage.
    I understood that SA makes Orvis floating fly lines, Orvis just puts their proprietory coating on.
    You'll see today a lot of reels that look the same with different brand names on them. I would go out on a limb and say most are built in the same overseas factory.

Uncle Barry Guest

'You'll see today a lot of reels that look the same with different brand names on them. I would go out on a limb and say most are built in the same overseas factory'

therefore, think why shouldn't I buy the cheapest one ?
    unless you like to pay for their 'experts' and their advertising.

and this also applies to line, hooks, rods and more.

That's what I am trying to find out. I bought air frame spools for the crosswater reel because they were cheaper and not just similar...the only diff was the CW didn't have the star drag knob...which actually made them a step down in my book.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Uncle Barry Guest

Good evening Maodiver.
    Mate you would not believe, if you were told the truth !

Lets leave it at that, shall we.

Kind regards,
    UB

Quote Originally Posted by RS1 View Post
    . . . .
    I understood that SA makes Orvis floating fly lines, Orvis just puts their proprietory coating on.
    I was told this by an Orvis dealer once. A while back, I went in to get an Orvis line. Supplies were low and they said lines were back ordered as Orvis was switching from SA to someone else, I thought it was Rio.

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

Especially in times like these it would be great to get the low down here. I like this thread alot. Maybe we should have a spread sheet showing us the different product categories and the products that are the same except for the logo. From there we could get the cheapest of the same product.

It may be frowned upon and if it is please delete this post but if you go to a site that promotes purchasing from Chinese manufacturers like this one

Click Here.
    you find find fly reels and some fly boxes that you will recognize. Take a look to the fly line page with the box that has a rainbow trout on it. I swear that one is familiar.

The problem I have is that I don't recognize all the different fly reels.

Some of these companies even take paypal, some you have to purchase at least 500 bucks worth of product.

Roy
    Last edited by roygpa; 04-14-2009 at 08:14 PM.

Roygpa, your link didn't work, at least not for me.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

+ Reply to Thread