+ Reply to Thread

Thread: PFD's....?help

Hybrid View

Default PFD's....?help

I plan on doing the Montana Mecca Pilgrimage again this year but some health issues have me looking at personal flotation devices. I wet wade almost 100% of the time.
    ...any recommendations?
    Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

I am also going to Montana this July -- don't know where -- somewhere in the south west part (never been there before) -- but I guess I'll figure that out.

As part of my gear, I will be taking Mustang suspender type floatation devices -- not sure just how I'll wear them yet-- probably under my vest --I'll figure that out also. However, I think they also come as kind of a belt/fanny pack.
    Last edited by Orthoman; 04-09-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: content

I use the Mustang PFD. It's recommended by the manufacturer to [U]not[U] wear it underneath clothing. Cabela's has a nice selection of PFDs in their Spring Flyfishing catalog. Have fun in Montana. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Depending on your price range, I would check into Wakeboarding PFD's. They are not the most "floaty" PFD, but they will keep your head above water and would easily fit under a vest.

I use a Cabela's PFD under my vest when I float tube. I don't ever know I have it on when I'm fishing so it must be confortable. Luckily I haven't had to use it so don't know how well it works.

Beaver

Default Inflatable

Inflatable vests are the only way to go.
    BassPro and Cabelas have many varieties, from $80 up.
    SOSpenders even has an inflatable fishing vest, but it's expensive.
    I am NEVER without an inflatable and it does NOT get in the way. Some fishermen I know put it on between their waders and their vest, but since I use a belt pack and not a vest, I don't have that issue.
    I spent years investigating watercraft deaths, and I tell everyone I know to wear an inflatable at ALL times, even when not moving. It's no impediment to fishing and WILL save your life if the occasion arises.

+ Reply to Thread