+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For J.C., L.F. and all of us that love the little squirrels

Hybrid View

nighthawk Guest

Default For J.C., L.F. and all of us that love the little squirrels

This is one of our bad boys or girls. We have about a half dozen that come calling and only one has half of it's tail. "Stumpy" didn't show today but this little bugger is getting fat on our sunflower seeds:

We love the little buggers and get a kick out of feeding them too.

I've got grays all over the place, we live in a small wooded area on a lake.
    Some suggestions- If you want to feed the birds, put ground up red pepper in your sunflower seeds. the squirrels hate it and will eventually learn to leave the sunflower alone and return to THEIR corn feeders. Birds don't have problems with it! My neighbors and I have had to put hardware cloth screen on the outside of our soffitts to keep them out of our attics. Everyone in our cul de sac has problems with them burrowing into the soffitts and getting into the attics. Keep your squirrels feeders away from your house.

Randall Sale
    the Kytroutbum

Blog Entries

Eric that is a nice feeder in your pictures, I was looking at one like it yesterday at walmart, it was sold as "Squirrel Proof"

I only have three squirrels that come to my bird feeder. I had a real problem with them dumping the food all over the ground to get to the sunflower seeds.

Then I realized that If I bought better food there would be more sunflower seeds to eat and less food on the ground.

I bought a bag of sunflower seeds, mixed it with the birdseed I already had. now the squirrels don't have to dig to get to the sunflower seeds, the small amount they spill is ate by the ground feeders (doves etc.) and I have very little waste. and its as fun watching the squirrels as it is the birds.

Next year I will mix from the start and not worry about the squirrels.

Eric
    Last edited by Eric-WD; 04-09-2009 at 03:32 PM.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

nighthawk Guest

The feeder was a Christmas present from Mrs. Claus. I was thinking about using the dremel tool to buzz the rivet heads off that hold the tray to the bottom. First though I will put some field corn in the tree for the squirrels and grease the shepherds hook that holds the feeder with some PAM cooking spray. I may also use the cayenne pepper.

Need to put feeders out for the little buggers first though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric-WD View Post
    Eric that is a nice feeder in your pictures, I was looking at one like it yesterday at walmart, it was sold as "Squirrel Proof"

I only have three squirrels that come to my bird feeder. I had a real problem with them dumping the food all over the ground to get to the sunflower seeds.

Then I realized that If I bought better food there would be more sunflower seeds to eat and less food on the ground.

I bought a bag of sunflower seeds, mixed it with the birdseed I already had. now the squirrels don't have to dig to get to the sunflower seeds, the small amount they spill is ate by the ground feeders (doves etc.) and I have very little waste. and its as fun watching the squirrels as it is the birds.

Next year I will mix from the start and not worry about the squirrels.

Eric

My mom always had a milk jug bird feeder hung up on the tree in our back yard (i.e. a plastic milk jug with a hole cut in it on one of the sides) while I was growing up. What we found was that, when a squirrel was in the bird feeder did not throw food on the ground (and the food on the ground had already been eaten by the birds), the birds would get mad and attack the squirrel in the bird feeder. If the squirrel threw food on the ground, the birds would swarm around the food being thrown onto the ground and leave the squirrel alone. Quite entertaining.

However, I must say, that I take the contrarian view and, actually, do not like squirrels. They got into the chimney flue, at my parent's home, and clogged it up so that our furnace did not work (we had an old furnace, until about Senior year in college when my parents finally got a high efficiency one that could not be vented through the unlined, brick chimney) and caused other damage to things on (and, yes, even in the attic) the house. Whenever I think of squirrels, I can only see them as tree rats. I have no use for squirrels and I don't apologize for my views, nor do I care if it offends, that's just my view and others are more than welcome to disagree.

Paul

I have a Kuma. Nothing that small with 4 legs last for very long in my yard.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Stratton View Post
    I have a Kuma. Nothing that small with 4 legs last for very long in my yard.
    I Googled Kuma to see kind of pellet gun it was and found this. Now I am wondering where can I buy one???

Welcome to Kuma's

~ The Finger Lakes Finest All American Charm ~
    Last edited by Clay; 04-15-2009 at 01:07 PM. Reason: edited for better discretion.

nighthawk Guest

I will be the first one to admit that I do love to hunt and eat the wild ones but not the ones in town that everyone feeds. Been living in squirrel country almost all of my life. They do get into homes occasionally but I always look at is as a risk we accept to live where we do. Our home is squirrel resistant. It is not that hard to do. Treat them just like a rat in that any hole they can get their nose through they will get their body through too.

Screen the holes that must stay open, seal the other ones off and put a "Varmint" cap on the chimney. Take a look at these:

http://www.fireplacemall.com/Chimney...mney_caps.html

Now any squirrel that does manage to get into the home must be removed and that usually means killing them. They can do too much damage and the health risk is not worth it.

I used to live in westfield mass and they officially are infested with BLACK squirrels. they are much smaller than gray squirrels, but much more prolific and apparently more aggressive since they took over so quick. Supposedly they were imported from scotland for someones garden or a park or something and then spread... whoulda thunk they could do that???

I am with Gandalf, however, on the distaste for the tree rats. They eat the birdfood, leave a huge mess when done, and do a lot of damage. And my good for nothing old dog (god rest his happy soul) wouldnt kill them. He would catch them, run around for about 20 minutes with them in his mouth, then set them down to take a drink or pant and away they would run. Useless dang dog... But I miss him. Looked like a fox, only bigger.

Blog Entries

"Whenever I think of squirrels, I can only see them as tree rats. I have no use for squirrels and I don't apologize for my views, nor do I care if it offends, that's just my view and others are more than welcome to disagree."

Paul

I agree with you, they are pretty much Fluffy Tailed Rats with good PR. However, they haven't caused millions of deaths by carrying the plague all over the Europe (Yet). Probably due to the fact that they prefer to live in forest area away from people. I personally like them and will do what I can to keep them on the outside of my home and still feed them.

I understand your feelings, I feel about domestic pigeons the way you do about squirrels, to me they are flying rats, if you substitute Pigeons for Squirrels in your above quote you would have my feelings.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread