+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I fell, and my rod suffered

Default I fell, and my rod suffered

Well I finally did it. I finally fell and didn't manage to protect my rod. My new Sage, too boot. The rod is not broken, thankfully, but it has suffered some cosmetic flaws to say the least. My concern is that these scratches are not only in the finish, and that the structural integrity of the has been compromised. Is there any way to tell if the rod needs to be sent back to the factory without doing just that, and is it really worth doing so or should I just fish it till it breaks (probobly on a lifetime fish too with my luck)?

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

Since sending it to Sage will cost you $25 or $30 anyway, you might as well keep fishing it. The worst thing that happens is that it breaks and you send it back to get it fixed. That way you aren't out that money just for cosmetics.

Personally I think "scars" on fishing rods are sort of like rust on pickup trucks - it looks bad but adds character and kind of makes it even more "your" rod.

Jake

I would call Paul Johnson at Sage, and ask him. He gets paid for answering this stuff.
    800/533-3004

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

ahh that sucks dude. i broke 2 rods in 2 trips this fall. u shoulda seen how unpleasent i was when that happened. but it didnt bother me as much for the whole replacement thing because i can get my rod replaced right in town so theres no shipping away or anything jsut walk in give em the money n the busted piece and i get a new one 5 min later. it just ment i was down a rod for the day. thats y i always carry two

Remember this mantra when going down...

THROW THE ROD... THROW THE ROD...

Jeff

After reading this excert from Castwell's column a while back, I hope you reconsider and not bother sage.

"So, now 'lets bring it home.' I buy a fly rod. It is for fishing. It breaks (notice I did not day 'I' broke it, or I broke it while fishing, or it broke while I was fishing with it) and therefore must be defective. It was designed and fabricated for fishing and 'IT' broke while doing so. No other reason, defective. And, remember, I am not responsible. It is guaranteed for life. (Mine I guess) Anyway, I am the customer, 'IT' is broke, it must be defective, and it is guaranteed. Fix it. I am entitled. The guarantee did not spell out any exclusions, covered everything.

How did our fly rod companies ever get forced into this untenable situation? If they stay in business it will be a miracle. Why does a new guy just getting into fly fishing even think that the delicate rod he just bought is unbreakable? It is a fly rod, not an Ugly Stik. Right, he doesn't know it will. But, he could care less.

Some company just give a full guarantee. Stupid. When in the future we all take a ethical attitude on products we purchase and do not expect them to hold up to unreasonable violence will we ever again return to the days of high quality and reasonable prices. Who is responsible for the higher prices? You are. You and your demanding a full guarantee on everything."
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Don't think the cost of the warranty is not figured into the cost of the rod.

You payed for it, so use it.

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

JC

That is my understanding as well. I just thought I would have some fun and quote your article from a few weeks back. After all, how often do you get quoted?

See I do read what you write.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Ah, yes ... the slipping at the river's bank, happening so fast one cannot re-act that quickly to protect one's most treasured possesion; and afterward, having to make a hard decision -

A): having the "memory knotches", like this scratch happened on ABC River, and this nic was the result of of XYZ stream. (Much easier to do with a less expensive rod, I'm afraid)

B): keep the rod new and spifted-up as long as humanly possibe. (But the pain of a new scratch, re-lived every time something happens, much like finding the first parking-lot dent in the new car)

The dilemma's of an compulsive/obsessive flyfisherman are not easy!

Just break the rod in the section that got the scratches and get it repaired.
    Problem solved.

+ Reply to Thread