+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Redington Rod question

I own two Red Fly rods and two Redington Wayfarer rods. Each rod is equipped with a Red Fly reel. If was I forced to sell most of my fly fishing equipment, I would refuse to part with my Redingtons.

I guess I better get on the Cabela's website to check out the discounts. Thanks for the tip.

Thanks R.

I guess the bottom line of the question was how fast are the Red.Fly rods? You pretty much answered that. It sounds like they are fairly fast, but I'll have to decide whether it would work for a 7wt for very light saltwater. I'm trying replace an older Sage DS 790 2pc.

I bought a 4 pc. 5 wt. RedFly last August... best value around. Also picked up one of the Cabela's bargains last week. Discontinued ? So what ? It's a great rod for the dough.

OK, so for anybody who's interested...

I called up Redington today and they handed me over to a Sage/Redington technical guy. He said that the Red.Fly rods from 2004 (like the ones on sale now) are actually quite moderate in action. He discouraged me from buying the 6/7 4pc for a WF-7 line unless I wanted a very medium action (which I don't). He also mentioned that the redesign on that rod line was to make them a bit faster to be medium-fast.

So there it is. The guy was awesome and answered my questions beautifully. BTW, he said the Redington rod he likes is the RS3 and he favors it greatly over the Wayfarer.

So I guess it wasn't to be. I'm not sure I'm interested in the 9'6" 7/8, as it sort of defeats the purpose I was going for (it weighs in @ 4.1 oz.). That's almost as heavy as my 9wt!!

What does everyone think about a 9'6" 7wt? Too big, cumbersome or OK?

Thanks,
    Randy

[This message has been edited by preast (edited 23 February 2005).]

Lots of good info on the Redingtons. I don't know anything about them but I was thinking about the 2pc 10ft for a 7 wgt as a smallmouth/ largemouth rod. Your replies will allow me to scrutinize the deal better. Thanks for the post, RR

Hi:

I just bought a Redington rod CPS rod and cast it next to the same size /weight Sage TCR that costs $700. The redington was exactly the same except for the rod tube. You cant go wring!

Miguel

Preast - The 9'6" rod would perfect if you wade or sit in/on a canoe or kayak to fish - the little extra length gets your loop just a little higher, which is an advantage in the above situations. Also great if you fish from a beach - the extra length helps account for the upslope of the beach behind you!

TL, Dave

Thanks everyone. I don't hear any strong objections to the longer rod so it sounds like it must be a negligible difference, and mostly positives.

I do some pond fishing for bass in which the longer rod might help to get above the weeds, and plan on using it out of a kayak.

I'll try to put a report out once I get it.

+ Reply to Thread