+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Redington Rod question

Default Redington Rod question

Cabelas has a sale on the redington Redington Red.Fly Fly Rods, are these pretty good? Don't know much about Redington, but which models are these, high/mid/low end of their products? Has anybody had any negative experiences with them, they have some real good prices, around 70-90 bucks. Thanks for any advice.

------------------
    A bum-legged old man and a drunk. That's all you got?
    That's WHAT I got.
    "I don't drink anymore, I freeze it and eat it like a popsicle"

I own 4 Redington rods. None are that model but I have tried one and it is a very nice rod. I feel they are a great value. The Red Fly is the second to low end model but still has a lifetime warranty. The low end Crosswater does not.

------------------
    Joe

My first Saltwater rod was a RedFly and it was an awesome rod for the $75 I spent on it. If the new ones are on the same blank then it is a great rod. I liked the graphite reel seat on the older versions better, as they are far superior in the salt then any aluminum seat. I've never tried the lighter weights in this series, but the quality and warranty will be top notch considering the low cost.

Lou

The Red.Fly combo was my first fly rod purchase. I still use it a lot. Very nice rod. I got the 2pc, so I don't travel with it. But when I'm fishing close to home and need a 6wt, it's my rod of choice.

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

I use them for a fly fishing class i teach. I think they are a great deal at retail price--at that price they are a steal.

You might check sierratradingpost.com too--i think they have them on sale also.

[This message has been edited by D. Micus (edited 17 February 2005).]

Zim, I also saw that sale at cabelas. They have them mismarked or something. The RS2 are listed on one page as being $99-109 and in actuality when you click on the link to choose the rod they are $79-89.

The redfly is even cheaper. I have cast both rods and they are equally nice.

Ben

I was looking at these too. Would ya'll say they are on the lower or the higher side of the weight designation (would a 7/8 be more like a 7 or an ?

All the Redingtons that are on sale at Cabelas are discontinued models.

Just being a little persistent here...

I really would like to know if anyone is familiar with the action of the Red.Fly rods that Cabela's has discontinued. I want to use a WF-7 for close casting to reds/specks with little wind. I was thinking of getting the Red.Fly in a 6/7, thinking along the lines of the DT/WF logic, and the fact that it'll be for shorter casts in skinnier water. (I've got a 9wt for more demanding conditions).

Would the 6/7 work for this purpose or should I look at something else? I'm thinking since it's 4 pieces, it might be a little stiffer than other models.

Thanks!!

I know it's not the same weight, but I have a 5/6 Red.FLy 4-piece at 8 1/2. I'd call it moderate-fast, leaning toward fast. Not as fast as Temple Forks. I like it best with 6 wt line, and it'll throw some good-sized bass bugs.

I've actually cast golden bend backs with it with no problem. I think these were about size 4, unweighted. 4-6 Clousers are no problem either.

Hope this helps.

R

------------------
    [url=http://www.native-waters.com:b82e2]http://www.native-waters.com[/url:b82e2]

+ Reply to Thread