+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 100% Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

Hybrid View

Default 100% Whole Wheat Bread Recipe

This was a new recipe I tried today with a bit of apprehension. I was concerned the bread would be heavy, but was pleasantly surprised when it was finally done. It's actually a great, flavorful sandwich loaf.

100% Whole Wheat Bread
    From the Kitchen of: Joe Valencic

Ingredients:

29 oz Stone ground whole wheat flour (5-1/2 to 6 C)...100.0%
    3 t Salt (1T + 1t Kosher salt) (.75 oz.) ..........................2.5%
    3T Dry Milk (.45 oz) .................................................. ..1.5%
    4t Vital wheat gluten (.60 oz.) ......................................2.1%
    3T Molasses (2.25 oz.) ............................................... 7.8%
    3T Butter melted (3 oz.) ............................................10.3%
    2-1/2t Instant yeast (.42 oz.) .......................................1.5%
    18.6 oz Warm water (105-110 F) ................................ 64.2%
    54.82 oz. .................................................. ..............178.5%

Directions:

Combine flour, salt, yeast, vital gluten and dry milk in a large bowl and blend well. In a separate bowl, combine warm water, melted butter and molasses. Hollow out the flour mixture and pour liquid into the center. With a wooden spoon pull the flour into the liquid until you have shaggy mixture, then turn out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth & elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Remove dough to a well greased bowl (covering dough with oil on all surfaces), cover with plastic and allow to rest until doubled in size, about 90 minutes.

If using a stand mixer with dough hook, put liquid into mixing bowl and slowly add flour mixture, reserving about 1/2 Cup. On speed 2, add flour until dough pulls cleanly away from the bowl, then continue to mix for 7 minutes to develop the gluten. Remove dough from bowl and shape into a tight ball, then place in a well greased bowl (covering dough with oil on all surfaces), cover with plastic and allow to rest until doubled in size, about 90 minutes.

Punch down dough and divide into two portions. Fold dough letter style, press dough into a square, then roll into a log shape, pinching the seam closed and tucking the ends under. Place into two oiled 9"x5" bread pans, cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm place until doubled in size.

Bake in a pre heated 400 F oven for 30 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 200 F. Remove from pans to a cooling rack. Wait for one hour before cutting bread. Allow bread to reach room temperature (about 3 hours) before placing in plastic bags and place in the freezer. Will keep up to 30 days. Makes 2 loaves 27 oz. each.

Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Uncle Barry Guest

Good afternoon Joe.
    With the 3T of Molasses is there a strong taste of Molasses from this amount of Molasses ?

Kind regards
    UB
    Also with fingers in the dough, from way back.

Joe,

It smells wonderful!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Barry View Post
    Good afternoon Joe.
    With the 3T of Molasses is there a strong taste of Molasses from this amount of Molasses ?

Kind regards
    UB
    Also with fingers in the dough, from way back.
    UB,

No, the molasses does not dominate the flavor at all. If that's a concern, you can substitute honey for the molasses, or even just 3T of granulated sugar. I frequently interchange these three ingredients based on availability in my pantry.

BTW, I'm having a lovely slice of this bread right now with butter and strawberry jam on it. Mmmmmmmmmmm.......
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Probably a dumb question, especially from one that has rattled around professional kitchens and bakeries for around 20 years.

How do you takethe internal temp of your loaves? Probe in place or instant read inserted when you think it is ready?

By the way that is one fine looking loaf of bread...

Also, I made a loaf of no-knead a couple weekends ago, aged for 24 hours and then final proofed for another 3, baked "naked" on a bread stone and it came out perfect! All crust, just like we like it...it was actually as close to New Jersey Italian bread as I have ever made!

Quote Originally Posted by brhoff View Post
    Also, I made a loaf of no-knead a couple weekends ago, aged for 24 hours and then final proofed for another 3, baked "naked" on a bread stone and it came out perfect! All crust, just like we like it...it was actually as close to New Jersey Italian bread as I have ever made!
    lol, the only thing I understood there was New Jersey Italian bread!

But I will be making this whole wheat bread this weekend hopefully!!

Thanks Joe V.!!!!!

Nice looking loaf Joe.
    Member FFF , TU, MTFF
    Ron

That's a tasty looking loaf of bread.

I have tried wheat bread in the bread maker several times with minimal success, have followed the recipe exactly but it never seems to rise quite right. it tastes good but is "flat" and dense. I have been thinking of increasing the yeast content to help it rise better.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

Quote Originally Posted by brhoff View Post
    Probably a dumb question, especially from one that has rattled around professional kitchens and bakeries for around 20 years.

How do you takethe internal temp of your loaves? Probe in place or instant read inserted when you think it is ready?

By the way that is one fine looking loaf of bread...

Yes, I have a digital thermometer with a probe that I insert near the end of the baking period. It has a high temp alarm that I set to 200 F, which notifies me when the bread is done. I only do this the first couple of times with a new recipe to validate the actual time, then make note of the time on the recipe.

Congrats on the"Artisan" loaf using the no-knead method. Like skinning a cat, there certainly more than one way to do it. Sure beats the hell out of store bought bread with all the preservatives.
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

+ Reply to Thread