Fishing report for April 6 to 13, 2009

Director of our Freshwater Fisheries Society and respected fly fishing expert Brian Chan, released his first book, a privately produced fishing guide to Pennask Lake for the Pennask Lake fish and game club, in 1990. This initial work would become the prototype for his highly prized book, "Flyfishing Strategies for Stillwaters."

Also produced in that year was "West Coast River Angling," Eric Carlisle.

In 1991 Brian Chan self published the first run of his classic "Flyfishing Strategies for Stillwaters."

1992 saw five books on the subject of our BC fisheries: "The Run of the River," by Mark Hume. "Fishing Hot Spots of the Upper Fraser Valley," by Richard Evan Probert. "Guide to Salmon Fishing," by E A & Mike Rychkum. "Best of BC Lake Fishing," by Karl Bruhn, and Jack Shaw's classic "Tying Flies for Trophy Trout."

In 1993 there were two books released that I would put on the must read list of every BC angler: "Fly Patterns of Roderick Hair-Brown," by Arthur James Lingren and "My Father, My Friend," by Arthur Mayse. Lingren's book was tribute to our best know BC fly fishing icon. While Mayse book is a heart warming account of a father and son learning to fish together on Vancouver Island's Oyster River. If you liked Norman Mclean's classic "A River Runs Through It," you will love "MY Father, My Friend."

Spring has finally returned and our lower mainland lakes are fishing very well in response. Continue to concentrate on the warmer water in the north eastern sections of your favorite lake. For wet (sinking) fly fishing try: Chironomid, Bloodworm, Nations Black, Baggy Shrimp, Zulu, Black Gnat, Micro Leach, Halfback, Big Black, or Dragonfly Nymph. If dry (floating) fly, yes it's warm enough for surface action, try: Lady McConnel, Griffith Gnat, Black Gnat, Royal Coachman, Double Hackled Peacock, Adams, Tom Thumb, Elk Hair Caddis, or Irresistible. For kokanee try: Bloodworm, Chironomid, Red Spratley, Red Abbis, Black Gnat, Griffith Gnat, Royal Trude, or Royal Coachman.

The Fraser River backwaters and sloughs are fishing well for cutthroat and dolly varden. For cutthroat try: Rolled Muddler, Tied Down Minnow, Clouser's Deep Minnow, Bucktail, Alevin, Mickey Finn, black Stonefly Nymph, Egg & I, Coachman, American Coachman, Lioness, Zulu, Souboo, Big Black, Micro Leach, Czech Nymph, Strawman, or Sixpack. For dolly varden try: large (#4 to #1) Bucktail, Rolled Muddler, Zonker, Big Black, or Kaufmann's Black Stone.

The Vedder River is good for rainbow, dolly varden, and steelhead. For rainbow try: Eggo, Kaufmann's Black Stone, Elk Hair Caddis, Tom Thumb, Zulu, Fire Ball, Irresistible, Adams, Renegade, Grasshopper, or Stimulator. For Steelhead try: Big Black, Flat Black, Squamish Poacher, Thor, Polar Shrimp, Popsicle, pink Eggo, Happy Hooker, or Kaufmann's Black Stone.

The Harrison is good for cutthroat, rainbow, and whitefish. For whitefish try: small (size #16 to 12) Eggo, black Micro Leach, black Wooly Bugger, Stonefly, Adams, Lady McConnel, Griffith Gnat, Black Gnat, Elk Hair Caddis, or Flesh Fly.

The Chehalis River is fair for rainbow, and steelhead.

The Stave River is fair for cutthroat, rainbow, and whitefish.

The Squamish River is fair for rainbow, cutthroat, and dolly varden.

Until the next time, "Keep your fly in the water".