+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: overlining my tfo?

1. Default overlining my tfo?

I Just went out and cast my new 7wt tfo ticr yesterday after lining it with rio's clouser 7wt line. I had a old unknown 8wt wf line on it and liked that better.

I'm throw'n big nasties with this setup and the 8wt seems like the logical pick. Before
    I blow another 70 beans on a line I'm just wondering what peoples thoughts are on this rod or overlining in general?

since it works for you then use the eight line. If you come across another seven sometime give it a try. There are no absolutes here because your casting style might be that the eight is best and for me the seven. Just enjoy the rod and have some fun.

another thought - I have several rods (lots!) and say in a five weight I have noticed that this brand might cast differently in a five from that brand. Pick your weight, five, three, seven or whatever. There is a variance here, so find what line works for you on each rod and go fishing. Today I fished with a new reel and line on a rod that likes a wf five, but this line was a pain in the butt, so I shall try a different five on that rod.
    Paul

air...:
    I use to overline my 6wt, 7wt and 8wt rods, when I cast heavy flies like Clouser Minnows or also bulky ones as Muddlers, Rabbits, etc. No doubts.
    We know that we need less yards of line in the air (overlining our rods) to make a final forward cast.
    Excellent on float trips, when you just have a short time for fast casts, many times just for one back-cast.
    Is very useful on fast and ultra fast rods and I prefer a WF (ovelined) line than a Shooting taper for the job. Is a more "delicate" loop-cast.

Good luck

Rocketfish

I have the TFO Professional in a 9' 4 piece, 4 weight. When I first cast it, I was so pleased with the way it handled a WF4F, I thought I'd never fish another outfit. Until I accidentally brought as WF5F to use with it. I found that it cast that line so well, that I had a two/dual weight rod and wouldn't have to buy a 5 weight stick. Well, I bought one anyway, but that doesn't take away from the awesome performance of the 9' 4 piece, 4 weight. Needless to say, I'm very pleases with my TFO and it's versatillity.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

6. Default

thanks paul, my partner in my fly tying club is bring'n me the 8wt clouser to try.

Most rods handle uplining just fine. Rod makers rate their rods based on the line they feel works best with the rod over the widest, or most typical range of uses.

Just about every rod I have tried worked just fine with the rated line. But I upline several of my rods for specific applications. Many rods, especially when you get to 7, 8 and larger sizes are rated with an typical cast haveing 40 to 45 feet of line or so outside the tip. If you are going to be making a lot of shorter casts it may make sense to upline by one or even two line sizes. Also, since the mass if the line carries the fly, if you are going to be casting heavy or wind resistant flies, it may be beneficial to upline by one or ever two sizes. So for example, if I am casting bass bugs with my 8wt rod, fishing from a float tube, and making mostly 25 to 30ft casts I use a 10wt line. Same rod, standing on the shore or in a boat and making 40 -60 foot casts, I'll use a 9wt line, 60 and beyond an 8wt line. Same rod and 60 ft and longer casts with a wooly bugger or other less wind resistant fly and I might go down to a 7wt rod. Casting with 30ft of a 10wt line outside the rod tip is about the same with 35' of a 9wt or 40ft of an 8wt or 45ft of a 7wt line (approximately, depending on specific line taper).

Like Rockthief said, if you like an 8wt on you rod, go ahead and use an 8.

I agree with tailingloop. Most manufacturers do rate the rod for what works best.

There are sooooo many choices of different tapered lines out there it is turning into a science.
    The TiCr is a very quick rod...I would say I would probably over line it because it is, or I would go with a line like Rio Grande. That rod is not going to give on the cast and maybe that is what you need so of course you need a heavier line to get it to bend.

As far as Lotechs Pro, I to have one and it is definitely designed for the designated line weight. I like slow rods and to me Pro is a med action...putting a heavier line would slow it down a tad more, but that is NOT why I bought it...the glass and boo fit that bill.

I am just one of those people, that if it says 5 weight, that is what I put on it, but I buy the ACTION I want, I don't expect the line to give that to me. Less headaches that way cause ANY 5 weight line will work...some better than others.

Blog Entries

I probably fish under or over-lined nearly half the time. One rod and a couple reels with a couple spools each create options beyond anything anyone would ever need, but I still play with it.

My wife's 5wt Sage slows down enough with a 7wt for her... Less and it is too demanding and critical for her to enjoy. Some lines from Rio start out a half-line heavy for casting ease.

Some slightly better cheap rods perform far better underlined. The guy that decided what label to stick on the rod may have been guessing, too.

I use a double taper line matched to the rod weight on all my rods which is close to being the same as overlining your rod. Works great for me.

+ Reply to Thread