+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Budget fly boxes?

Quote Originally Posted by alra195 View Post
    The last several years I've been favoring some very inexpensive multi-compartment boxes made by Plano. They come in two sizes and are called Double Sided Stowaways. The bigger box has 18 compartments and is shown below.....

One side has 12 compartments and holds a bunch of dries, emergers or nymphs.

The other side is perfect for streamers or large flies. Over all size is 8"x4"x2" and they sell for less than $4.00.

The smaller size, also a Double Sided Stowaway by Plano, has a total of 20 compartments, 10 per side. Holds a ton of flies (more than I've ever been able to use in several days of fishing)!

Over all size is 6 3/8"x 3 5/8"x2". I've like using them. A couple of positive are they do float, at least for a while, and have more capacity than I typically need for a few days of fishing. The lids do have a very positive and firm latch that keeps things in the box and the individual compartments. They are cheap, that appeals to the frugal side of me.

Some down sides would be they aren't water proof. They will keep flies dry under normal conditions (rain, even heavy rain, and general dampness) but I don't think they'd survive a long term or serious dunking and still keep everything dry dry. When you open the lid you don't want to drop the box. For obvious reasons all the open compartments would lead to a bunch of spilled flies (not a good thing). So far I've been careful and no on stream disasters have occurred!

For the time being they are my go to boxes.
    Yes, these are exactly the same ones I use, too! I've gotten some of them for less than $3 at Wally World, or around $5 each from Sportman's Warehouse.
    Like you said, you can fit a lot of different flies in these...small stuff on one side, bigger flies on the other. I lost 2 of these last year that were jammed full of flies. I figure I lost at least $400 worth of flies (some bought, many I tied). Now I put my address label and phone number on the inside of each lid, in case I lose them again. I also try to keep back-ups of most types of flies at home in separate boxes.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Default Altoid fly boxes

Here are a few ways I've altered Altoid tins to make fly boxes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I keep a couple of the Plano boxes at home for fly storage. Those things lock tight as a safe , are cheap and I dont think you could break it with a hammer. No there not a slick handmade cherry work of art but they work well.

+ Reply to Thread